1 Dead, 10 injured at Disneyland

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
1 killed, 10 injured on Disney ride

Locomotive breaks loose from roller coaster at Disneyland

ANAHEIM, Calif., Sept. 5 — A locomotive broke loose from a train on Disneyland’s Big Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster Friday, killing a man and injuring 10 other riders, officials said.

The accident took place inside a tunnel section of the ride, but exactly what happened was unclear, police said.

THE MAN DIED inside a tunnel section of the ride, and his body remained there for the investigation, said city spokesman John Nicoletti. He was not immediately identified.
Eight of the injured, ranging in age from 9 to 47, were taken to the hospital, while two others were treated at the scene, Nicoletti said. One of those taken to the hospital had moderate injuries, while the other cases were considered minor, he said.
The accident took place inside a tunnel section of the ride, but exactly what happened was unclear, said police Sgt. Rick Martinez.

The roller coaster takes people on a twisting, turning ride aboard what is supposed to be a runaway train in the Old West. Riders zoom around outdoors past falling rocks and tumbling waterfalls, occasionally entering tunnels designed to look like mineshafts and caverns.
The attraction, which opened in 1979, can carry as many as 32 people. The ride is computer-controlled, and the operator does not ride aboard the train.
“On behalf of the entire cast of the Disneyland Resort we are shocked and saddened,” said Cynthia Harris, president of Disneyland Resort.

I'm so creeped out by this. People aren't supposed to die at Disneyland. According to Snopes.com, only four or five people have died in Disney World and Land since they opened. But, still, that's sad.

Read that a short while ago myself. That sucks! Now everybody else there today can't go on that ride! :D

Originally posted by Dan
What a deeeeeeeeeek!!!:D

LOL

I am, I admit it. I just have a hard time sympathizing for most anymore. I know this wasn't this guys fault, and I shouldn't make light of it, but he ain't coming back either way!

Damn, that's messed up! wonder if it will be up and running for tomorrow's guests??? :)

That is a bummer though, but you know, I was watching a special on amusement parks and there are alot more that goes on that we just don't know about. They did an investigation on this, and it seemed that a lot of the parks didn't have to report this to it's customers, the only people that knew were people probably there, authorities and the owners of the park, the rest never knew about it. You would be surprised.

Yeah, but when you figure about 10,000 people a day visit Disneyland and Disney World, there's probably going to be a lot of people "there".

For sure! and I think that's exactly why this one was reported, but think about like Pt. Pleasant and the others here, so many injuries and a few deaths were never known. Not to mention, there were all sorts of problems that after these occured the ride was still never repaired correctly. So, guess you never wonder or know what could happen. Guess it's just like bungee jumping, never know if it's going to snap. I know this, when I jumped, you just don't know, you just don't think about it until it should happen.

Yea true. I still think you're sorta a retard for bungee jumping though.:p

hahahaahahaha! 310 feet! but I am here, that's all that matters. Speaking of, I have to find my tape, I have no idea where it is.

Forum List

Back