$1 billion Calif. solar project faces problems

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
$1 billion Calif. solar project faces problems - San Jose Mercury News

BLYTHE, Calif.—A major Southern California solar energy project could be delayed or even canceled following a deadly outbreak of distemper among kit foxes and the discovery of a prehistoric human settlement on the work site, according to a report Saturday. The $1 billion Genesis Solar Energy Project near Blythe in the desert east of Los Angeles was on track to start producing power for some 187,500 homes starting in 2014. But critics tell the Los Angeles Times ( Problems cast shadows of doubt on solar project - latimes.com) the distemper outbreak and discovery of a possible Native American cremation site show that expedited procedures approved by state and federal...

$1 billion Calif. solar project faces problems - San Jose Mercury News

BLYTHE, Calif.—A major Southern California solar energy project could be delayed or even canceled following a deadly outbreak of distemper among kit foxes and the discovery of a prehistoric human settlement on the work site, according to a report Saturday. The $1 billion Genesis Solar Energy Project near Blythe in the desert east of Los Angeles was on track to start producing power for some 187,500 homes starting in 2014. But critics tell the Los Angeles Times ( Problems cast shadows of doubt on solar project - latimes.com) the distemper outbreak and discovery of a possible Native American cremation site show that expedited procedures approved by state and federal...

Let me guess...you're overjoyed.

Sicko.

Would be a good idea for making mobile homes energy self-sufficient...
:clap2:
Solar panels could double as a roof
Feb. 13 (UPI) -- Researchers in Australia are developing a solar roof system that uses wasted energy to warm air and water.
What distinguishes the project from other systems, the researchers say, is that the solar cells are integrated into the structural makeup of a building. So instead of being attached to a roof, the system actually becomes the roof, The Sydney Morning Herald reports. The system evolved from a "low carbon living" project to investigate future energy efficiency initiatives while evaluating the effectiveness of current methods of generating solar power, said the researchers from the University of New South Wales. "Australia has this perception that we are blessed with limitless energy but by the time we have filtered it through the system and into buildings in the form of electricity, there is enormous waste. So we are gathering the data to make informed decisions about that,'' associate professor Alistair Sproul told the Herald.

If solar panels are extra-durable, the researchers say, they can serve as roofing material. While solar cells on top of panels typically generate a significant amount of waste heat as a by-product, the researchers devised a way to harness it instead with an insulated space behind the panel, heating the air to 25 degrees Celsius. ''We want to take the building performance to the next level,'' said research leader Professor Deo Prasad. 'In the past we have had separate experts working on solar panels, on energy efficiency, water efficiency but what we are looking at now is total integration from the start.''

The researchers are investigating the possibility of manufacturing the system in Australia and said a number of firms are monitoring their research with that in mind. ''A lot of lower-tech forms of photovoltaics seem to be finding their way into countries where there are cheaper labor costs, so we want to concentrate on developing these high-tech, high-end forms,'' Prasad said. Australia relies on coal to generate 80 percent of its electricity.

Last year, roof-mounted solar panels in Australia for the first time competed favorably against peak-priced electricity from coal-fired power stations, Asian Scientist magazine reports. Solar photovoltaic panels cost around $1.07, compared to $3.75 per watt a few years ago. Separately, the future of southwest Queensland's proposed Solar Dawn $1.2 billion solar thermal plant appeared uncertain after it failed to meet a Dec. 15 deadline to compete financing but last week the government granted a six-month extension to its contract.

Read more: Solar panels could double as a roof - UPI.com

It's time to refocus our energy towards coal, oil, nuclear and natural gas. Screw this until they find away to make it economical.

The energy supply "mix" should embrace hydrocarbons, nuclear, AND alternatives/renewables.

But (and that's a big butt), the government has no cause to assess punitive tax measures on hydrocarbons simply to collect the funding needed to artificially support alternatives/renewables.

The oil industry is the largest non-governmental investor in alternatives and renewables.

Ironic, innit?

Sicko.

I would say its more like "see, I told ya so".

Could you imagine if the Internet were around at the time of Edison and Ford? Every setback would be broadcast worldwide and people would chastise the "waste" of time and energy and cheer the failure.

Which is fine I guess, free speech means that you're going to eventually hear things that you think are stupid, idiotic, or stuff you flat out disagree with.

The cold, callus cheering about persons potentially losing their jobs and/or their investments is a sign of mental illness though.

You all do realize that at some point, we will run out of coal and petroleum. What then? I hope to hell we wake up and start splitting some atoms which has proven to be safe and above all else EFFECTIVE!!!! Since the density of this nation precludes us from putting a nuke plant in every community, we're going to need some other alternatives. So by all means, keep cheering the failures.

Sicko.

I would say its more like "see, I told ya so".

Could you imagine if the Internet were around at the time of Edison and Ford? Every setback would be broadcast worldwide and people would chastise the "waste" of time and energy and cheer the failure.

Which is fine I guess, free speech means that you're going to eventually hear things that you think are stupid, idiotic, or stuff you flat out disagree with.

The cold, callus cheering about persons potentially losing their jobs and/or their investments is a sign of mental illness though.

You all do realize that at some point, we will run out of coal and petroleum. What then? I hope to hell we wake up and start splitting some atoms which has proven to be safe and above all else EFFECTIVE!!!! Since the density of this nation precludes us from putting a nuke plant in every community, we're going to need some other alternatives. So by all means, keep cheering the failures.

Actually, it's the cheering of the demise of a failed cult... the cult of the greenies.

obama-meteor-failure.jpg

Forum List

Back