#1 Banned Book...I would never have guessed it

Apr 12, 2006
New Jersey
To Kill a Mockingbird

What is the logic in banning this book? I had to read it twice in school (8th grade in Illinois and freshman year of HS in new jersey), it is a great book and offers some great lessons.

Another great irony: Fahrenheit 451 is number 7 on the banned list. A book criticizing censorship is in fact banned. I guess it would be more ironic if it was burned...

Book banning is pure horse shit.

People who ban books should be banned. Banning books and burning them is what the Nazis did. Not even Atticus Finch would defend such people.

I can't see the logic in it. I can see putting some books off until kids are older, i.e. reading To Kill a Mockingbird in high school, rather than junior high, because kids will be more apt to understand everything in it.

To Kill a Mockingbird

What is the logic in banning this book? I had to read it twice in school (8th grade in Illinois and freshman year of HS in new jersey), it is a great book and offers some great lessons.

Another great irony: Fahrenheit 451 is number 7 on the banned list. A book criticizing censorship is in fact banned. I guess it would be more ironic if it was burned...

Book banning is pure horse shit.

Add Bible to banned books list
'Bible Too Violent for Kids'
By Patrick Goodenough
CNS London Bureau Chief
August 03, 2000

London (CNSNews.com) - A German government minister has been asked to re-classify the Bible as a book considered too dangerous for children because of its violent content.

Two lawyers from Bavaria made the request in a letter to Family Minister Christine Bergmann, in which they said the Bible contained "bloodthirsty and human rights-violating passages."

"It preaches genocide, racism, enmity towards Jews, gruesome executions for adulterers and homosexuals, the murder of one's own children and many other perversities," wrote Christian Sailer and Gert-Joachim Hetzel.

The Bible should remain on a lists of books unsuitable for children until the offending passages were removed, they argued

http://www.last.fm/forum/23/_/144318

Fahrenheit 451 is one of my all time favorite books and movies....The remake of the movie is coming out soon I believe..

Some of the best books I ever read are on that list:

4. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
6. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
7. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
12. My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier
13. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
14. The Giver by Lois Lowry
51. A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
69. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
70. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Apparantly, anything that at all questions war/society/government/existence is challenged in Alabama.

People who ban books should be banned. Banning books and burning them is what the Nazis did. Not even Atticus Finch would defend such people.

Amen brother.

Fahrenheit 451 is one of my all time favorite books and movies....The remake of the movie is coming out soon I believe..

I have not seen the original, I should check it out.

Some of the best books I ever read are on that list:

Apparantly, anything that at all questions war/society/government/existence is challenged in Alabama.

It not Alabama, "ALA" is The “American Library Association”.

We have a wacko here in Georgia on a campaign to ban Harry Potter. She has lost at every turn and is now moving to the Federal Court, last I heard.

It not Alabama, "ALA" is The “American Library Association”.

We have a wacko here in Georgia on a campaign to ban Harry Potter. She has lost at every turn and is now moving to the Federal Court, last I heard.
Don't you feel bad for her children? Man, life must be boring.

In this case I am sure they are free to read the bible, I just wasn't going to say it. She claims Harry promotes witchcraft. I love the BIBLE BELT.:dev1:

I tell people that I'll side with her the day I see some people who read Harry Potter start casting spells.

Oh, and on that list of banned books, how the hell can you ban Huck Fin and Lord of the Flies? Those should be required reading, not forbidden reading, along with several other books on that list.

I tell people that I'll side with her the day I see some people who read Harry Potter start casting spells.

Oh, and on that list of banned books, how the hell can you ban Huck Fin and Lord of the Flies? Those should be required reading, not forbidden reading, along with several other books on that list.

Works for me, Hobbit.

As far as the other books on the list, I agree.

Because it's much easier to pretend racism never existed in our country and it's also easier to pretend that human beings can behave like animals when pushed to the extreme. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt!

Forum List

Back