1.8 MILLION engineers not working in their field

get_involved

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2009
Cheap foreign labor vs. unemployed Americans.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jBb70Dc3Ug]Jobless engineer's wife questions Pres. Obama about 1 million new immigrants a year - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Fuck...why should they be working in their field? Conservatives have been blocking any kind of projects that would get them working in their field. Infrastructure? Baaaaad! Research into renewable and non-polluting fuels and technology? Baaaaaaad! Upgrading our electrical grid that is still using 1940's technology and wastes 60% of the energy they generate? Baaaaaaaad!

You reap what you sow.

There's only 2 things I claim to be an expert on:
  1. the LA Lakers
  2. electrical engineering
I've been doing electrical design engineering for the last 30 years. And through the coarse of my employment, I've met many engineers who came here from different countries. They came from England, New Zealand, the Philipines, Iran, China, Egypt, etc. and none of them, were the type of immigrants that cross the border illegally. They were well-educated, afluent, men and women who entered the country legally (with green cards) and in most cases, became US citizens as a result.

As far as engineers getting work, I recently got laid off a week ago and I start my new job this Monday. Job search is a science. Usually, people that want a job, have a job. I know that sounds strange, coming from a liberal, but I do have a conservative side to me (that I need to control).

As far as a lack of work for engineers, the construction industry has taken a major hit because of the economic meltdown of the financial industry in 2008 and because of the over-funded defense budget that is taking 1/3 of every US tax dollar (about 1.2 trillion dollars a year). If we could take some of that money and put it into infrastructure projects, it would have a big impact on the economy. Nothing creates jobs quicker in this country than construction projects.

I agree with loinboy on all counts....even the part about wanting to work.
That line came as a result of me talking to my ex-girlfriends' former boyfriends, most of which were just getting out of prison. Women just love danger boy! But what I found was, as tough as these guys were on the street, they were really pussy, when it came to getting a job and not having to live off others.

I'm a liberal. My politics are definately left wing. But I got my first job when I was 17. My father cut my allowance out when I was 12. He said, "You get out and get money like the rest of us!" So I started at 17 and have been working ever since. I do not believe in handouts.

So I got really sick of these convicts complaining about not having a job, but then every suggestion you make, they spend all their time thinking of reasons why they can't work. It kind of went like this...

Me: Well, what about this job?
Them: Too far away, I don't have a car!

Me: Well, what about that job?
Them: Doesn't pay enough!

Me: How 'bout this job?
Them: I don't do that kind of work!
Just this on and on and on of constant bitching why they can't do something. I finally got tired of it and just said, "Ya know, people that want a job, have one!"

I've. Been working since I was 14.....that's 33years. One thing I would like to see our country do is reinstate the CCC and the WPA. Those that are collecting off the system should have to do work in the public works area to receive them. That gives the taxpayer a return on their investment, helps improve our infrastructure, and gives a portion of our population some work history, and a chance to do something productive.

I think given enough time being idle, plenty of people would become complacent and need a little kick in the ass.

Fuck...why should they be working in their field? Conservatives have been blocking any kind of projects that would get them working in their field. Infrastructure? Baaaaad! Research into renewable and non-polluting fuels and technology? Baaaaaaad! Upgrading our electrical grid that is still using 1940's technology and wastes 60% of the energy they generate? Baaaaaaaad!

You reap what you sow.

You missed the whole point of the post lefty. It's not about available jobs, it's about bringing in cheap labor that hurts Americans out of work. :cuckoo: You also have a really big mouth and need to grow up.

You reap what you sow.

You missed the whole point of the post lefty. It's not about available jobs, it's about bringing in cheap labor that hurts Americans out of work. :cuckoo: You also have a really big mouth and need to grow up.

That is the point. The GOP has been blocking everything that would cause countless jobs to be created that would put these people to work.

Here's a great way to get work !
Getting arrested is the easiest thing ever in the land of The Fee.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTX8Yq3UOV4]Inmate Labor Farm (Pasco Sheriff's Office Insight) - YouTube[/ame]

You reap what you sow.

That is the point. The GOP has been blocking everything that would cause countless jobs to be created that would put these people to work.

No, you missed the point of the ad too and by the way your point about blocking everything is just your opinion. You lefties want government to control everything and the Republicans don't want that.

Last edited:
So what?

I have an engineering degree and am not working as an engineer. I know a couple other engineers who went back to school for MBAs and are no longer working as engineers.

In other words your point is pretty lame.

America is basically underemployed.

The fact that some professions are doing well is nice, but so what?

ARe we all going to become engineers or doctors?

Would THAT make give this a healthy economy and society?

Of course not.

You reap what you sow.

We afford to rebuild Iraq, but not America. 3 or 4 trillion for Iraq - GOOD.

Anything for America - BAD.

Thanks GOP. For saving us from someone who never attacked us. And look at all the "good" you did in the Middle East. Seems all right wing policies work about the same.

Iraq thanks us too:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcJy7IFwUeA]Journalist`s parting shots at Bush - YouTube[/ame]

Republicans remind me of their great Southern Leader, "Jubilation T. Cornpone".

Last edited by a moderator:
"Why do Republicans want to run the government when they say it can't work? Doesn't Iraq and Katrina and Afghanistan and the economy and all the other Republican disasters prove it's Republicans who can't run government?"

It's not that. The Land of the Idiot doesn't have anyone capable of running the gov't.
Liars, thieves,rednecks, fatcats and weirdo's. It's the murkin weigh !

"Why do Republicans want to run the government when they say it can't work? Doesn't Iraq and Katrina and Afghanistan and the economy and all the other Republican disasters prove it's Republicans who can't run government?"

It's not that. The Land of the Idiot doesn't have anyone capable of running the gov't.
Liars, thieves,rednecks, fatcats and weirdo's. It's the murkin weigh !

Liberals do pretty good. Or so says "history".

This is so true...

I work in a field that Involves Structural and Mechanical Engineers and have for over 30 years, I can tell you 1st hand about 20% of the Engineers are from Foreign Countries working with a Visa.

It was not that way years ago, the influx of Foreign Engineers has at least double in the last 5 years, many of my old associates have been let go from their jobs only a month or two later to find out a Foreigner has replaced them at the same Company.

For Obama to say there are not enough Skilled Engineers in the USA is a BOLD FACED LIE.

The real truth is Foreigners will work for 30% less money!

Until un-enployment gets below 6%, all VISA's for any Foreign Workforce must STOP

You reap what you sow.

No, I didn't miss the whole point. You are trying to blame the plight of unemployed, highly skilled engineers on illegal immigrants. Which is bullshit and a ridiculous cover up for what is really going on, which I posted earlier. Funny how you are all so worried about engineers being out of work, but when a "lefty" like myself complains about the tens of millions of manufacturing jobs that went bye bye that left unskilled and semi skilled labor in the lurch, all I hear from the right is that businesses have the right to make as much profit as they can.

As far as my big mouth? Fuck you. When I see one fucking OUNCE of civility coming from the right, I will be glad to respond tenfold. Trust me....I won't hold my breath.

As far as growing up? I'd be willing to bet that most of you righties have been spoiled rotten by mommy and daddy, and now that you're grown up you found that being a responsible member of society is hard....so instead of embracing the challenge that comes with being an adult, you set out to change the rules back to a time when the poor could just fucking starve and no one would give a shit.

This is so true...

I work in a field that Involves Structural and Mechanical Engineers and have for over 30 years, I can tell you 1st hand about 20% of the Engineers are from Foreign Countries working with a Visa.

It was not that way years ago, the influx of Foreign Engineers has at least double in the last 5 years, many of my old associates have been let go from their jobs only a month or two later to find out a Foreigner has replaced them at the same Company.

For Obama to say there are not enough Skilled Engineers in the USA is a BOLD FACED LIE.

The real truth is Foreigners will work for 30% less money!

Until un-enployment gets below 6%, all VISA's for any Foreign Workforce must STOP

Hello! Don't be a dumbass. It's Republicans that want to bring skilled labor here. When Romney says "fewer teachers" it's not a "gaffe", it's a policy. Why spend the money creating skilled labor here when you can bring it over from overseas as a fraction of the cost. AND they can't vote. Educated people vote Democrat.

Forum List

Back