1.8 MILLION engineers not working in their field

Discussion in 'Politics' started by get_involved, Jun 21, 2012.

1. get_involved

get_involved Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Cheap foreign labor vs. unemployed Americans.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jBb70Dc3Ug]Jobless engineer's wife questions Pres. Obama about 1 million new immigrants a year - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  2. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Fuck...why should they be working in their field? Conservatives have been blocking any kind of projects that would get them working in their field. Infrastructure? Baaaaad! Research into renewable and non-polluting fuels and technology? Baaaaaaad! Upgrading our electrical grid that is still using 1940's technology and wastes 60% of the energy they generate? Baaaaaaaad!

You reap what you sow.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Billo_Really

Billo_Really Litre of the Band

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,261
    There's only 2 things I claim to be an expert on:
    1. the LA Lakers
    2. electrical engineering
    I've been doing electrical design engineering for the last 30 years. And through the coarse of my employment, I've met many engineers who came here from different countries. They came from England, New Zealand, the Philipines, Iran, China, Egypt, etc. and none of them, were the type of immigrants that cross the border illegally. They were well-educated, afluent, men and women who entered the country legally (with green cards) and in most cases, became US citizens as a result.

As far as engineers getting work, I recently got laid off a week ago and I start my new job this Monday. Job search is a science. Usually, people that want a job, have a job. I know that sounds strange, coming from a liberal, but I do have a conservative side to me (that I need to control).

As far as a lack of work for engineers, the construction industry has taken a major hit because of the economic meltdown of the financial industry in 2008 and because of the over-funded defense budget that is taking 1/3 of every US tax dollar (about 1.2 trillion dollars a year). If we could take some of that money and put it into infrastructure projects, it would have a big impact on the economy. Nothing creates jobs quicker in this country than construction projects.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I agree with loinboy on all counts....even the part about wanting to work.

5. Billo_Really

Billo_Really Litre of the Band

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,261
    That line came as a result of me talking to my ex-girlfriends' former boyfriends, most of which were just getting out of prison. Women just love danger boy! But what I found was, as tough as these guys were on the street, they were really pussy, when it came to getting a job and not having to live off others.

I'm a liberal. My politics are definately left wing. But I got my first job when I was 17. My father cut my allowance out when I was 12. He said, "You get out and get money like the rest of us!" So I started at 17 and have been working ever since. I do not believe in handouts.

So I got really sick of these convicts complaining about not having a job, but then every suggestion you make, they spend all their time thinking of reasons why they can't work. It kind of went like this...

Just this on and on and on of constant bitching why they can't do something. I finally got tired of it and just said, "Ya know, people that want a job, have one!"

6. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I've. Been working since I was 14.....that's 33years. One thing I would like to see our country do is reinstate the CCC and the WPA. Those that are collecting off the system should have to do work in the public works area to receive them. That gives the taxpayer a return on their investment, helps improve our infrastructure, and gives a portion of our population some work history, and a chance to do something productive.

I think given enough time being idle, plenty of people would become complacent and need a little kick in the ass.

7. get_involved

get_involved Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +565
    You missed the whole point of the post lefty. It's not about available jobs, it's about bringing in cheap labor that hurts Americans out of work. :cuckoo: You also have a really big mouth and need to grow up.

8. Black_Label

Black_Label Registered Democrat

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +514
    That is the point. The GOP has been blocking everything that would cause countless jobs to be created that would put these people to work.

9. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Here's a great way to get work !
    Getting arrested is the easiest thing ever in the land of The Fee.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTX8Yq3UOV4]Inmate Labor Farm (Pasco Sheriff's Office Insight) - YouTube[/ame]

10. get_involved

get_involved Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +565
    No, you missed the point of the ad too and by the way your point about blocking everything is just your opinion. You lefties want government to control everything and the Republicans don't want that.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012