1.8 Million Americans With Engineering DEGREES Don't Have Engineering JOBS

get_involved

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2009
"Pres. Obama's own staff has produced the data to show that the President was wrong Monday when he said America doesn't have enough engineers, was wrong last week in the State of the Union to say we need more high-skilled foreign workers, and was wrong in sending out spokespersons to claim that not enough Americans are obtaining engineering degrees. But the President -- like most Republican leaders -- tends not to look for facts when thinking about immigration but just looks to his elite business cronies."

https://www.numbersusa.com/content/...on-americans-engineering-degrees-dont-have-en

-

The Center for Immigration Studies is, given its area of claimed expertise (among other reasons) a pretty lousy source for a "report" on engineering employment. The link indicates that about 100,000 people with engineering degrees are looking for jobs. Given that there are many different kinds of degrees, and not everyone with a degree is qualified to work every job in their field, I see no contradiction between this number and Obama's claim that industry wants more engineers.

Part of the problem is that the DC clowns moved ~14,000 US factories and ~3,000,000 US manufacturing jobs overseas. Many of those factory related jobs were engineering jobs, either product engineers or infrastructure engineers.

That's odd... I have two friends whose kids have recently graduated with engineering degrees... one petroleum and one electrical... they both had jobs before they graduated... and like really high paying jobs.

That's odd... I have two friends whose kids have recently graduated with engineering degrees... one petroleum and one electrical... they both had jobs before they graduated... and like really high paying jobs.

new engineers have no trouble getting jobs.

once they hit about 40 they need to start looking over their shoulder, because the axe is coming.

once they hit about 40 they need to start looking over their shoulder, because the axe is coming.

Why do you think that is.... changing technology perhaps? I know as a CPA I have to do 120 hrs every three years of CPE to keep my license... but I guess all engineers aren't PE's.

Hmmm.

Why do you think that is.... changing technology perhaps? I know as a CPA I have to do 120 hrs every three years of CPE to keep my license... but I guess all engineers aren't PE's.

Hmmm.

most engineering slots don't need a PE. it's partly changing technology and partly the fact that experience costs more. as the tech evolves, experience is devalued (rightly or wrongly)

i have 3-4 guys around 40-50 who are Engineers on my route......been delivering their Unemployment checks for quite awhile......one guy told me he has 250 resumes out over the whole country....all he gets back is letters telling him,thank you for your interest in our company...but....

Hmmm.

most engineering slots don't need a PE. it's partly changing technology and partly the fact that experience costs more. as the tech evolves, experience is devalued (rightly or wrongly)

Well, I guess I can understand that then.... kinda sucks though... but it really isn't anything new.

Is all Bush's fault...
:confused:
Biden Blames High Unemployment on ‘This God-Awful Recession We’ve Inherited’
March 29, 2012 - At a campaign event in Iowa on Wednesday, Vice President Joe Biden blamed the continuing high level of unemployment in the United States on what he called “this God-awful recession we’ve inherited.”
According to the non-partisan National Bureau of Economic Research, the last recession began in December 2007 and ended in June 2009—just five months into President Barack Obama’s term in office. In the 33 months since the recession ended, according to the NBER, the U.S. economy has been in a period of expansion. One of the current members of the NBER committee that determines when recessions begin and end is Christina Romer, who formerly served as chairperson of Obama’s Council of Economic Advisers. (Less than two weeks before Obama took office in 2009, Romer published a report saying Obama's stimulus plan, if enacted, would keep unemployment under 8 percent. In fact, unemployment has never been under 8 percent since then--even though in February 2009 Congress did enact Obama's stimulus plan, which the Congressional Budget Office estimated at that time would cost $787 billion.)

To explain what he believes is happening in the U.S. economy, Biden told the crowd at a campaign event in Davenport, Iowa, a story about his father. “He said, Joey, you got to understand one thing, a job is about a lot more than a paycheck,” said Biden. “It’s about your dignity. It’s about your respect. It’s about your sense of yourself. It’s about your place in the community. “And too many people have been stripped of their dignity as a consequence of this God-awful recession we’ve inherited,” said Biden. “And we’re determined--we’re determined--I think all of us, Republican and Democrat--are determined to turn that around.”

The expansion that began in June 2009, when the last recession ended, has not seen the growth in real GDP and the decrease in unemployment that has occurred in other recent economic expansions. In no quarter of Obama’s presidency, according to the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Economic Analysis, has real GDP grown at an annual rate of as much as 4 percent. The most robust growth during the Obama presidency occurred in the first quarter of 2010 when real GDP grew at a rate of 3.9 percent. In the last four quarters, real GDP has grown at a rate of 0.4, 1.3, 1.8 and 3.0 percent.

President George W. Bush also experienced a recession in the early months of his presidency. That recession, according to NBER, began in March 2001 and ended in November 2001. But by the third quarter of 2003, according to BEA, real GDP was growing at a rate of 6.7 percent. Over the course of 2004, the year that Bush sought reelection, real GDP grew at 3.5 percent. During George W. Bush’s first term, unemployment peaked at 6.3 percent in June 2003, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. During the election year of 2004, unemployment stayed below 6 percent, peaking that year at 5.8 percent in March. The highest that unemployment went during George W. Bush’s presidency was 7.8 percent—the level it hit in January 2009, the month Bush handed over the office to Obama.

MORE

Part of the problem is that the DC clowns moved ~14,000 US factories and ~3,000,000 US manufacturing jobs overseas. Many of those factory related jobs were engineering jobs, either product engineers or infrastructure engineers.

From 2001 to 2008 with the support the US Chamber of Commerce. Wonder why the COC gives to Republicans over Democrats 9 to 1. Odd that.

From 2001 to 2008 with the support the US Chamber of Commerce. Wonder why the COC gives to Republicans over Democrats 9 to 1. Odd that.
Not odd at all. The CoC represents business. Why would they donate to the anti-business party?

Oh, by the way, Derp, "Engineer of Womyn's Studies" is not a real engineering degree. You should stop telling people you're an engineer.

Forum List

Back