1,748 Days since the Declaration Of "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED"

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Psychoblues, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Just a few more thousand deaths of young American soldiers and many more thousands of deaths of otherwise innocents.

Give it an honest thought, OK?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The military operation to oust Saddam Hussein and his government was over then and the mission was accomplished.

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    so why are we still there? they keep changing the objective without defining the mission.

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Oil.

The mission was to secure it. Done.

Now the mission is to occupy the country until the oil is secured for the next x years.

5. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    Then there needs to be a solution from inside Iraq. Time to divide the country into three, allocate the oil between them, make our deals and get out.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Two different missions. The first was to boot Saddam. Was as as picture perfect as one could ask.

The second is a still ongoing effort to try and keep a finger in the dyke.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Supposition on your part.

8. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439

For how long? And for how much money? And for how many lost lives?

9. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    In my jurisdiction there's a pretty sophisticated legal doctrine concerning the interpretation of attempted crime. Attempts are damn difficult to prove, it's easier to prove a completed offence than an inchoate one, the evidence required for the the latter is very difficult to get, but that seeming paradox is actually a damn good idea when you think about it.

If I indulge in a set of actions which result in a crime (say, murder, we'll keep it simple) then I deserve to be sanctioned. And they're usually quite straightforward in terms of proof (murder - here I go, big generalisation - is best defended on the question of intent unless it's obvious that a more effective defence lies elsewhere). But my actions (getting back on track) are obvious. They're unambiguous. And that brings me to my point (eventually).

In the law of attempts here (we borrowed from English law) there are two tests a court applies. The first is the one I just referred to, the ambiguity test. A jury is given the evidence and it's asked (and directed by the judge) to interpret the actions of the defendant. "Is there any other possible reason that the defendant did "nominate actions"? If you believe there is then you are duty-bound to acquit. If you believe there is no other reason then it is within your discretion to convict the defendant". Or words to that effect. I'm not a judge or a lawyer, but that's usually how it goes.

The second test is the so-called "proximity test" and it's used in conjunction with the ambiguity test. This one goes along the lines of, did the defendant get so far along the way to the crime that if the defendant wasn't interrupted they would have gone on to commit the crime? If you link that one with the ambiguity test and all the cards come up then you can be sure you've got a solid attempt case.

As I said, it's easier to prove the completed offence, but no matter, that's not what I'm on about.

Any objective reading of the actions of the US military in the invasion and immediate occupation following the successful invasion would show that oil was the objective. The actions of US forces were clear. Invade, overthrow Saddam and the Baathists and control the oil. There was no ambiguity about action, only in the words of the Bush Administration which even today can't sustain it's weak alibis. It was about oil. It's still about oil.

10. M14 Shooter

M14 Shooter The Light of Truth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    Its been 1649 days since 5-1-03

March 19 2003 - November 5 2007: 1692 days
    March 19 2003 - November 5 2007: 3160 KIA
    Dialy KIA rate: 1.86 KIA/day

This is lowert KIA/day rate of any extended, large scale military operation in the history of the world.

Give it an honest thought.