1,500 Teachers Paid to Do Union Business While Missing Class

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
In New York City's funny math, you get only one teacher for the price of two.

The Department of Education pays about 1,500 teachers for time they spend on union activities -- and pays other teachers to replace them in the classroom.

It's a sweetheart deal that costs taxpayers an extra $9 million a year to pay fill-ins for instructors who are sprung -- at full pay -- to carry out responsibilities for the United Federation of Teachers.

With Mayor Bloomberg calling for thousands of teacher layoffs to balance the 2012 budget, critics say it's time to halt the extravagant benefit.

1,500 Teachers Paid to Do Union Business While Missing Class - FoxNews.com

TAXPAYERS UNITE.:eusa_pray:

We condemn corporate leaders for private jets and expensive vacations, and they steal from the shareholders. This kind of practice in NY steals from the taxpayers. They are both wrong.

Why didn't I become an English teacher instead of busting my butt 80-120 hours per week for 20 years? Check out this sweet deal from the link in the OP:

English teacher Tom Dromgoole, for instance, collects top teacher pay, $100,049 a year, from the DOE for his slot at Leadership and Public Service HS in downtown Manhattan. But he is relieved for most of the day to serve as a UFT high school rep. The UFT supplements his salary by $50,461, records show.

Willow, I cannot speak for the activities of these teachers specifically, or what the United Federation of Teachers is having them do, but I can say that as a Union Steward and as someone who sat on the Negotiating Team for our last Contract, there are times when Union business does need to be carried out during the regular workday. I missed probably an average of part to all of one day every two weeks for Union Business between January of 2009 and March 31, 2010 related to the negotiations for our contract.

Without the ability to do certain (not all, but certain) business during regular work hours, Unions cease to exist as a viable entity. Whether it's negotiations, grievance hearings, etc... some of these things just cannot be done after hours.

how's the medicare part b treating you, willow?

I've used medicare once in a year.. do you think I've overused it? Wanna send me all my money back so I can get off it??

doesn't matter how much you use it. it's there when you want it.

just get rid of everyone else's benefits, right?

who's benefits you talking about? the ones who don't work and get paid double dipping in New York? those ones??? I worked for mine. I never raked in one hundred grand of tax payer money while out doing union business. you wanna send me back all my money.. so I can get off your back? I'll do it.

Willow, I cannot speak for the activities of these teachers specifically, or what the United Federation of Teachers is having them do, but I can say that as a Union Steward and as someone who sat on the Negotiating Team for our last Contract, there are times when Union business does need to be carried out during the regular workday. I missed probably an average of part to all of one day every two weeks for Union Business between January of 2009 and March 31, 2010 related to the negotiations for our contract.

Without the ability to do certain (not all, but certain) business during regular work hours, Unions cease to exist as a viable entity. Whether it's negotiations, grievance hearings, etc... some of these things just cannot be done after hours.

Do you think the American taxpayer should pay you a salary so you can do the Union's business of extracting more money from the American taxpayer?

Do you think the American taxpayer should pay you a salary so you can do the Union's business of extracting more money from the American taxpayer?

I work for a private corporation, not in a government job. So it's the rate-payers, not the taxpayers who pay my salary.

I do agree that it sounds like there's more going on than should be. The whole idea of having someone whose job for the day is simply to cover a particular building/school in case there is a Union issue sounds a little fishy to me, personally. I get to do 8 hours of regular work a day AND deal with all the headaches and heartaches of being a Steward at the same time.

However, there ARE some things that cannot be done outside of the regular day. Most of these are actually times where we are meeting with the company on an issue, or meeting amongst ourselves before meeting with the company on an issue. Whether it be contract negotiations, a grievance, a policy change, etc.... We try to minimize the interference, but sometimes it's just not possible to do things at any other time.

BTW - The Union's business is protecting the workers, not "extracting more money from the American taxpayer?" (or in my case the rate payer). If more business' would be more interested in treating their employees fairly and with a little decency, many of these Unions wouldn't be necessary. I work in Engineering. How many Unionized Engineering Departments do you know of? Probably not very many. We went Union two and a half years ago because the writing was on the wall that we were going to get used and abused by the company in their new system.

Last edited:
How Much Does Part B Cost?
If you have Part B, you pay a Part B premium each month. Most people will pay the standard premium amount. Social Security will contact some people who have to pay more depending on their income. If you don't sign up for Part B when you are first eligible, you may have to pay a late enrollment penalty

Paid into the system for 30 years.

Have paid premium fees monthly

Have paid for a supplemnt monthly

Have paid a huge deductible when I went for my yearly physical..

and Jillian wants to bitch about me and my use of medicare part B.

:cuckoo:

I work for a private corporation, not in a government job. So it's the rate-payers, not the taxpayers who pay my salary.

I do agree that it sounds like there's more going on than should be. The whole idea of having someone whose job for the day is simply to cover a particular building/school in case there is a Union issue sounds a little fishy to me, personally. I get to do 8 hours of regular work a day AND deal with all the headaches and heartaches of being a Steward at the same time.

However, there ARE some things that cannot be done outside of the regular day. Most of these are actually times where we are meeting with the company on an issue, or meeting amongst ourselves before meeting with the company on an issue. Whether it be contract negotiations, a grievance, a policy change, etc.... We try to minimize the interference, but sometimes it's just not possible to do things at any other time.

Well then you're off the hook because it was Teaches as public employee unions funded by the American Taxpayer of whom we speak.. Kerry on.

how's the medicare part b treating you, willow?

I've used medicare once in a year.. do you think I've overused it? Wanna send me all my money back so I can get off it??

doesn't matter how much you use it. it's there when you want it.

just get rid of everyone else's benefits, right?
No, just the stupid ones that don't make any sense, hey about obamacare, that dosn't make sense either.

Forum List

Back