$1.5 Million for study on why lesbians are fatter than gay men

I've been all over the NIH and Brigham and Women's Hospital websites and can't find anything about it. A Google news search comes up empty too.

Assuming it is true, the story linked above notes that the study was begun in 2011, long before sequester and it notes that additional funding is in question because of it.

In other words....barring additional evidence....thread fail.

Does this count as additional evidence?

Project Information - NIH RePORTER - NIH Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools Expenditures and Results

Yes, it does indeed. Thanks.

Comment: While I think this study, and the other one above, are abject foolishness and a waste of the taxpayers dollars, I would like to point out that once we all buy into the notion that something is a national health "crisis," be that tobacco, sugary drinks, obesity or whatever, the natural and predictable result of that is public pressure to "do something" about it. And, the natural off shoot of that public pressure is researchers lining up to tap the treasury for "studies."

We've seen it happen thousands upon thousands of times, yet we still fall for it whenever some interest group decides to push some issue near and dear to their hearts. They get their stories in the news, provide bought and paid for bogus "research" to "prove" the crisis, then they're off and running with our money. The motivation isn't health and never has been. It's money. Our money. My money. Your money.

How many times will we fall for this swindle? How many people right here on these boards are concerned about obesity? How many favor somebody "doing something" about it? If you're one of those, you've got no right to bitch about this because YOUR support, your gullibility is what enables this crap to continue.

Last edited:
I've been all over the NIH and Brigham and Women's Hospital websites and can't find anything about it. A Google news search comes up empty too.

Assuming it is true, the story linked above notes that the study was begun in 2011, long before sequester and it notes that additional funding is in question because of it.

In other words....barring additional evidence....thread fail.

Does this count as additional evidence?

Project Information - NIH RePORTER - NIH Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools Expenditures and Results

Comment: While I think this study, and the other one above, are abject foolishness and a waste of the taxpayers dollars, I would like to point out that once we all buy into the notion that something is a national health "crisis," be that tobacco, sugary drinks, obesity or whatever, the natural and predictable result of that is public pressure to "do something" about it. And, the natural off shoot of that public pressure is researchers lining up to tap the treasury for "studies."

We've seen it happen thousands upon thousands of times, yet we still fall for it whenever some interest group decides to push some issue near and dear to their hearts. They get their stories in the news, provide bought and paid for bogus "research" to "prove" the crisis, then they're off and running with our money. The motivation isn't health and never has been. It's money. Our money. My money. Your money.

How many times will we fall for this swindle? How many people right here on these boards are concerned about obesity? How many favor somebody "doing something" about it? If you're one of those, you've got no right to bitch about this because YOUR support, your gullibility is what enables this crap to continue.

piedpiper08.gif

piedpiper08.gif

Believe it or not, but not everything started with Obama. This "health" shell game has been going on since before he was in diapers.

so they NEED to know why they are fatter than gay males?
Maybe the fat ones(usually the ugly dike looking ones) turned to lesbianism because no strait man wanted to put their dick in their pegina

But almost any visit to almost any bar at 2:00 AM disproves that theory, jus' sayin'.

Granny says mebbe is `cause dey drink too much...
:tongue:
$2.7M Federal Study: Why Do Lesbians Have Higher 'Risk for Hazardous Drinking'?
March 19, 2013 - The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has awarded $2.7 million to study why lesbians are at a higher “risk for hazardous drinking.”
The University of Illinois has received grants since 2009 for its project, "Cumulative Stress and Hazardous Drinking in a Community of Adult Lesbians," which aims to develop “culturally sensitive” strategies to prevent lesbians from being drunks. “Studies using both probability and nonprobability samples provide ample evidence of lesbians' vulnerability to hazardous drinking,” the grant’s description reads. “However, very little is known about the factors that increase lesbians' risk for hazardous drinking.” “We propose to build on and extend our study of sexual identity and drinking… to model effects of cumulative stress on hazardous drinking among lesbians.”

The researchers theorize that lesbians report higher rates of traumatic events, making them more likely to engage in hazardous drinking, which has been defined by NIH’s National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism as “more than 7 drinks per week or more than 3 drinks per occasion for women.” Furthermore, the problem may be worse for “lesbians of color,” the researchers say. The grant states that there are “chronic stressors unique to sexual minorities, creating cumulative stress that may be compounded in lesbians of color.”

The study is being led by Tonda Hughes, professor at the Department of Health Systems Science at the University of Illinois, an “internationally recognized expert in the area of alcohol use among lesbians,” according to the University. The researchers are using a sample of 384 adult lesbians—50 percent of whom are a racial or ethnic minority—who were interviewed in 2000 and 2004, and a new panel of 250 lesbians. The grant states that the new panel was oversampled with Black and Latina lesbians, and young lesbians ages 18 to 25.

The specific aims of the study include: “to test models of the relationships between cumulative stress and hazardous drinking in lesbians,” and “the relationships between early and later risk factors and hazardous drinking.” The study will try to determine whether childhood sexual abuse, “sexual- minority stressors,” and “racial/ethnic-minority stressors” predict hazardous drinking in lesbians, and which lesbians are at the highest risk. “Findings will have important scientific and public health implications for identifying groups at greatest risk for hazardous drinking and for developing culturally sensitive prevention and intervention strategies,” the grant states.

More $2.7M Federal Study: Why Do Lesbians Have Higher 'Risk for Hazardous Drinking'? | CNS News

Are they fat because they drink too much or do they drink too much because they have to fuck fat chicks? Or do they fuck fat chicks because they drink too much and that makes them fat too?

I think with the $4.2 Million went to a fraternity house.

New Topics

Forum List

Back