1.5 billion requested for flu pandemic

My point now. Let's lose the pandemic stuff, make it go away. Truth to tell politics and direction of country are more important. This flu shit is diverting our attention. Nuff said. No more deaths, no more sick, no more hype. It's over by decree.

anyone know how many of these people that are getting this swine flu, got their flu shots last year?
No, but it's a different strain so the flu shot won't prevent it.

I have to laugh here...how many people rag on people that won't listen to the government and evacuate because of a hurricane are these same people that don't think the CDC's warnings should be heeded?

anyone know how many of these people that are getting this swine flu, got their flu shots last year?

I have to laugh here...how many people rag on people that won't listen to the government and evacuate because of a hurricane are these same people that don't think the CDC's warnings should be heeded?
but it could be related and if so, sometimes it will help you adjust
if you already have the antibodies for a related strain

I don't think it works that way...the CDC agonizes every year over what strains to put in the shot because it is basically a crapshoot as to what strain will be the major player. The flu shot is kind of like a condom...some times it works...if it were that easy I think we could all run out and get a swine flu shot and not have to worry.

I don't think it works that way...the CDC agonizes every year over what strains to put in the shot because it is basically a crapshoot as to what strain will be the major player. The flu shot is kind of like a condom...some times it works...if it were that easy I think we could all run out and get a swine flu shot and not have to worry.
right, they gamble on what will be the worst strain and what to include
but the major factor in the shot is it helps your body create antibodies to fight the strains
if they didnt include the exact strain, but a close relative, it would be better for you to have the shot because you would already have similar antibodies already being produced
i am not saying it will do it, just that it MIGHT, if they are closely related

but the major factor in the shot is it helps your body create antibodies to fight the strains
if they didnt include the exact strain, but a close relative, it would be better for you to have the shot because you would already have similar antibodies already being produced
Apparently, no one knows.

Will Your Flu Shot Protect You Against Swine Flu? -- Cohen 2009 (428): 1 -- ScienceNOW

Make%20A%20Mountain%20Out%20Of%20A%20Male%20Hill.jpg

this is something that SHOULD be tracked

WHO | Swine influenza - update 4

28 April 2009
Swine influenza
- update 4

28 April 2009--The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 19:15 GMT, 28 April 2009, seven countries have officially reported cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. The United States Government has reported 64 laboratory confirmed human cases, with no deaths. Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of infection including seven deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Canada (6), New Zealand (3), the United Kingdom (2), Israel (2) and Spain (2).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

Daily updates will be posted on this site.
WHO | Swine influenza

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)

Will Your Flu Shot Protect You Against Swine Flu? -- Cohen 2009 (428): 1 -- ScienceNOW
i dont know, this sounds like it might help some to me

Webster, who says he wouldn't expect much from the current vaccine because the H1N1 in it differs markedly from the new strain, still says it may make the difference between developing a mild illness and death.

Webster, who says he wouldn't expect much from the current vaccine because the H1N1 in it differs markedly from the new strain, still says it may make the difference between developing a mild illness and death.

Yep...but then there is this:
CDC's Daniel Jernigan says experiments with ferrets done there suggest that the current vaccine has no power against the H1N1 strain of swine flu now circulating the globe.
Very hard to know...I would like to know the answer but I'd rather see them successfully contain it or fight it with anti-virus drugs like Tamiflu.

If you like to read books, there is an excellent book about cholera and how they figured out how it spread and how it was combated...gives you a lot of insight on what the CDC is up against.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Map-Steven-Johnson/dp/1594489254/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240968924&sr=1-4"]Amazon.com: The Ghost Map: Steven Johnson: Books[/ame]

I think your theory is a good one.

I read that this particular strain -- Influenza A - H1N1 -- which they had never seen in humans before was definitely not protected by vaccine, but I agree having had the recent flu shot probably could help your immune system as the strains are closely related.

EDIT H1N1 was a part of the vaccine but may not resist the vaccine according to studies.

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Q & A: Flu Shot

FTR, I've never had a flu shot as I am young and healthy. :cool:

Last edited:
thats why it would be nice to know if any of these 64 cases in the US had the flu shot
maybe they all did, maybe only some did, and also maybe none did
just would be interesting to see

Ravi said:
Yep...but then there is this:

CDC's Daniel Jernigan says experiments with ferrets done there suggest that the current vaccine has no power against the H1N1 strain of swine flu now circulating the globe.

Yes I read that they determined this years vaccine was not effective in fighting this flu even though apparently they included it in a portion in the vaccine.

The Influenza (Flu) Viruses

There are two main types of influenza (flu) virus: Types A and B. Influenza A and B viruses are responsible for seasonal flu epidemics each year. Influenza A viruses can be broken down into sub-types. Over the course of a flu season, different types (A & B) and subtypes of influenza A viruses can circulate and cause illness. In addition, influenza viruses are constantly changing through a process called "antigenic drift."

Types of Influenza Viruses

There are three types of influenza viruses: A, B and C. Influenza A and B viruses cause seasonal epidemics of disease almost every winter in the United States. Influenza type C infections cause a mild respiratory illness and are not thought to cause epidemics.

Influenza A viruses are divided into subtypes based on two proteins on the surface of the virus: the hemagglutinin (H) and the neuraminidase (N). There are 16 different hemagglutinin subtypes and 9 different neuraminidase subtypes, Influenza A viruses can be further broken down into different strains. The current subtypes of influenza A viruses found in people are A (H1N1) and A (H3N2).

Influenza B viruses are not divided into subtypes. Influenza B viruses also can be further broken down into different strains.

Influenza A (H1N1), A (H3N2), and influenza B strains are included in each year's influenza vaccine. Getting a flu vaccine can protect against influenza A and B viruses. The flu vaccine does not protect against influenza C viruses.
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | The Influenza (Flu) Viruses

Last edited:
thats why it would be nice to know if any of these 64 cases in the US had the flu shot

Most of them were Catholic school children who went to Cancun on spring break.

quite big amount but i think that necessary precautions should be taken to stop the spreading of this flu since no cure has yet been found to stop this flu.
138l1103.jpg

Last edited:

Most of them were Catholic school children who went to Cancun on spring break.
so, being young(teens) i would assume they didnt have the flu shot
do you have a source for this?

quite big amount but i think that necessary precautions should be taken to stop the spreading of this flu since no cure has yet been found to stop this flu..

LOL ... really ... um yeah ... what do they give you for any other flu?

Answer: Rest and vitamin C ... that's about it.

Vaccines are given prior so your immune system is prepared for when it encounters the real one (though only in theory it hasn't proven to help any).

Oh ... and to top it off ... NOW they have a vaccine that suppose to work ... go figure, after asking for some money they produce something, but only a small amount, they NEED more money!

Called it ... I hate being right.

New Topics

Forum List

Back