1/4/2007: "The 110th Congress will commit itself to a higher standard: Pay as you go"

RadiomanATL

Jun 13, 2009
Not here
10/22/2010: $5 Trillion added to the national debt

Debt Has Increased $5 Trillion Since Speaker Pelosi Vowed, ?No New Deficit Spending? | CNSnews.com

When Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) gave her inaugural address as speaker of the House in 2007, she vowed there would be “no new deficit spending.” Since that day, the national debt has increased by $5 trillion, according to the U.S. Treasury Department.

"After years of historic deficits, this 110th Congress will commit itself to a higher standard: Pay as you go, no new deficit spending,” Pelosi said in her speech from the speaker’s podium. “Our new America will provide unlimited opportunity for future generations, not burden them with mountains of debt."

Pelosi has served as speaker in the 110th and 111th Congresses.

At the close of business on Jan. 4, 2007, Pelosi’s first day as speaker, the national debt was $8,670,596,242,973.04 (8.67 trillion), according to the Bureau of the Public Debt, a division of the U.S. Treasury Department. At the close of business on Oct. 22, it stood at $13,667,983,325,978.31 (13.67 trillion), an increase of 4,997,387,083,005.27 (or approximately $5 trillion).

Pelosi, the 60th speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, has added more to the national debt than the first 57 House speakers combined.

Debt Has Increased $5 Trillion Since Speaker Pelosi Vowed, ?No New Deficit Spending? | CNSnews.com

When Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) gave her inaugural address as speaker of the House in 2007, she vowed there would be “no new deficit spending.” Since that day, the national debt has increased by $5 trillion, according to the U.S. Treasury Department.

"After years of historic deficits, this 110th Congress will commit itself to a higher standard: Pay as you go, no new deficit spending,” Pelosi said in her speech from the speaker’s podium. “Our new America will provide unlimited opportunity for future generations, not burden them with mountains of debt."

I tend to regard you as just another partisan rodent dirtying up the national discourse with your blood scrawls and shit scrawls deserving only of being ignored lest one dignify your partisan poison with dialogue..

But in this case I am deeply indebted to you for this gem! I will recommend that the warden doubles your ration of incarcerationchow.

I tend to regard you as just another partisan rodent dirtying up the national discourse with your blood scrawls and shit scrawls deserving only of being ignored lest one dignify your partisan poison with dialogue..

But in this case I am deeply indebted to you for this gem! I will recommend that the warden doubles your ration of incarcerationchow.

I'm a rodent, but not a partisan one.

I'm a rodent, but not a partisan one.

I'd ask for pruuf, but you are a rodent!

Forum List

Back