0 + 0 = (?)

Kaiser

Rookie
Jul 31, 2014
Hi there. I am new here and I would like to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while now.

It started out as a joke. It was how the two numerals of Zero, when put together, looked like the symbol for infinity. Thus, zero plus zero equals infinity. It didn't really make sense at all. But then I started to think for a while, and came to a conclusion.

I believe Zero is a term referring to an entity of nothingness; an empty space with no walls and nothing inside of it. Absolutely nothing is inside and yet it has no floor, ceiling nor walls. With that being said, the expression "0+0", theoretically speaking, will yield no such answer. Why? Because "nothing" plus "nothing" can't be possible. "Nothing" is a singular entity, and nothing like it can ever exist. Even if there is a possibility of alternate universes, there can only be one "nothingness."

But is that definite?

What if, there is a separate "nothingness" aside from another existing one? I'm just imagining that these two "nothings" would collide, and burst into what we know as "Infinity."

This thread might not make sense. But I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Hi there. I am new here and I would like to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while now.

It started out as a joke. It was how the two numerals of Zero, when put together, looked like the symbol for infinity. Thus, zero plus zero equals infinity. It didn't really make sense at all. But then I started to think for a while, and came to a conclusion.

I believe Zero is a term referring to an entity of nothingness; an empty space with no walls and nothing inside of it. Absolutely nothing is inside and yet it has no floor, ceiling nor walls. With that being said, the expression "0+0", theoretically speaking, will yield no such answer. Why? Because "nothing" plus "nothing" can't be possible. "Nothing" is a singular entity, and nothing like it can ever exist. Even if there is a possibility of alternate universes, there can only be one "nothingness."

But is that definite?

What if, there is a separate "nothingness" aside from another existing one? I'm just imagining that these two "nothings" would collide, and burst into what we know as "Infinity."

But is that definite?

You're overthinking it. Zero is simply an absence of value.

But is that definite?
Well, if you're speaking of alternative universes, they don't exist together. There are boundaries between them that prevent this from occurring. So the 'nothingness' of one universe would be separate from the 'nothingness' of another, as the 'walls' you posit don't exist....would. In the boundaries between alternative universes.

And nothing need not be universal. You could have nothing in a box. And it would still be nothing.

That's a pretty big leap. From nothing comes an unlimited amount of something? Logically that doesn't follow. Like smashing one empty box into another empty box....and out pops a Winnebago. Or in the case of your example, an infinite number of Winnebagos.

Fundamentally, your infinity lacks causation. As there's nothing to indicate that 'colliding nothings' would have anything to do with infinity.

But is that definite?

"Through the Wormhole" had an episode "What Is Nothing?" To sum up, there's no such thing. The sheer act of calling nothing "nothing" makes it "something." And even physically, no where in space is there a perfect void of nothingness. There's always something be it dark matter or energy, but a perfect void doesn't exist. They make mention of if there were a region of space with absolute nothingness it'd destroy the whole universe.

As to infinity, it's merely a concept. The universe had a beginning therefore infinity in it doesn't literally exist. Because of how space is curved though, any direction you travel in will eventually loop back on itself, but that's not so much the universe's area is infinite so much as space itself is curved no matter what ya do. Only way you could have a literal infinity is if you expand a frame of reference beyond the universe itself and include adjoining 'verses as seems to be the case.

Cosmologists have detected all the matter in the known universe being pulled to one part of it as though another universe's gravity is oulling it there. If you think of the universe as a soap bubble in the tub and the two universes merging, though separated by a membrane, bits of soapy water in the bubbles can be pulled into the other bubble. This is what cosmologists are seeing now.

Forum List

Back