US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Should the gop be willing to shut down nonessential govt functions to stop obamacare?

This is a discussion on Should the gop be willing to shut down nonessential govt functions to stop obamacare? within the Politics forums, part of the US Discussion category; Quote: Originally Posted by Desperado Quote: Originally Posted by boedicca Non-essential Government Services shouldn't exist in the first place. Just sayin'. Excellent Point God are ...


Go Back   US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum > US Discussion > Politics

Politics Discuss government policies and candidates...

View Poll Results: Should the GOP stand their ground and defund O'care despite any possible ramification
Yes 44 68.75%
No 14 21.88%
other (will explain in post) 6 9.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:16 PM
rightwinger's Avatar
Sewer Worker
Member #20321
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 66,165
Thanks: 19,785
Thanked 22,378 Times in 14,638 Posts
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 10096
rightwinger has disabled reputation
Quote: Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by boedicca View Post
Non-essential Government Services shouldn't exist in the first place.

Just sayin'.
Excellent Point
God are you guys stupid
__________________
.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
USMessageBoard.com is the premier Political Forum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  #92 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Darkwind's Avatar
The Gatekeeper
Member #19727
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,968
Thanks: 544
Thanked 3,534 Times in 2,273 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 4043
Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute
Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute
I just don't understand the entire 'shut down government' meme being perpetrated by both sides.

The House simply needs to craft a budget that funds the government but leaves off any monetary stipends for Obamacare.

Then send it to the Senate for ratification.

If it fails, then it is the Senate (aka, Democrats) who have failed (yet again) to fund the government.
__________________
An armed man is a citizen. A disarmed man is a subject.

They laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at them because they are all the same. -- Kurt Cobain

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. ― Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkwind For This Useful Post:
MeBelle60 (09-17-2013), The T (09-17-2013)
  #93 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Plasmaball's Avatar
I'm a dick
Member #24916
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 16,811
Thanks: 6,233
Thanked 3,054 Times in 2,354 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 2046
Plasmaball has a reputation beyond repute Plasmaball has a reputation beyond repute Plasmaball has a reputation beyond repute
Plasmaball has a reputation beyond repute Plasmaball has a reputation beyond repute Plasmaball has a reputation beyond repute Plasmaball has a reputation beyond repute Plasmaball has a reputation beyond repute Plasmaball has a reputation beyond repute Plasmaball has a reputation beyond repute Plasmaball has a reputation beyond repute
Quote: Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Black_Label View Post
The GOP needs to get their heads out of their asses and stop acting like a bunch of 3 years throwing a pissy fit because they didn't get their way (even though the individual mandate was a republican plan to begin with)

The affordable care act is the law of the land, deal with it.
so was slavery at one time. so was the prohibition of women voting.

all laws are not good laws. ACA is terrible legislation, probably the worst in our history
worst in our history? and you wonder why you can't win the white house
__________________
Welchers of the USMB:
Polerider/007-daveman-dr. house-teapartysamurai-warrior-Ladygunslinger-Ghook-Liability/IlarMeilyr-listening
Reply With Quote
  #94 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:27 PM
common sense..what's THAT
Member #23165
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: mid south
Posts: 16,918
Thanks: 2,745
Thanked 3,857 Times in 3,001 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 2427
thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute
thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute
Quote: Originally Posted by Grampa Murked U View Post
Yes or no and what do you believe the ramifications would be? And I don't mean lost elections. Individual political seats are not more important than the health (not medical) of our nation as a whole.
The dems screamed the sky was falling when the thought of sequester wasmentioned. Reality showed different.

Im sick of the gop being forced to "go along" just to keep the gun away from their heads. This is a bipartisan mess overall and im sick of the dems getting a free pass. If the govt shuts down it will be because BOTH sides refused to compromise. BOTH

Congress is there to fulfill the will of the people not FUCKING KING OBAMA.

I say fuck these stupid games and play hardball. Sadly I don't think Boehner has the spine required to do what's right.
In order to preserve the integrity of the nation and the economy, government spending MUST be capped. And if holding the debt ceiling to the current level means some non essential functions of government will be temporarily shut down, so be it.
Obama believes that government and not the private sector is the basis of economic activity. That is incorrect. The very reason why our economy has not grown at greater than 1.7% in any one quarter since 2009 IS because of government spending and borrowing. Of course the threat of new taxes and the inevitable increase in expenses suffered by the private sector have smothered economic growth.
Boehner is a go along to get along operator. I objected to his nomination as Speaker and I think he has done a terrible job.
Boehner is part of that old guard RINO contingent that has taken the GOP and made it second rate.
__________________
Who will provide the grand design.
What is yours and what is mine.
Cause there is no more new frontier.
We have got to make it here.
Reply With Quote
  #95 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:29 PM
common sense..what's THAT
Member #23165
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: mid south
Posts: 16,918
Thanks: 2,745
Thanked 3,857 Times in 3,001 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 2427
thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute
thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute
Quote: Originally Posted by Black_Label View Post
The GOP needs to get their heads out of their asses and stop acting like a bunch of 3 years throwing a pissy fit because they didn't get their way (even though the individual mandate was a republican plan to begin with)

The affordable care act is the law of the land, deal with it.
Laws are not written in stone. Who told you they were?
__________________
Who will provide the grand design.
What is yours and what is mine.
Cause there is no more new frontier.
We have got to make it here.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thereisnospoon For This Useful Post:
MeBelle60 (09-17-2013)
  #96 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:29 PM
LoneLaugher's Avatar
Prohibition Cat
Member #32973
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Inside Mac's Head
Posts: 17,859
Thanks: 1,354
Thanked 3,794 Times in 2,772 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 3905
LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute
LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute LoneLaugher has a reputation beyond repute
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkwind View Post
I just don't understand the entire 'shut down government' meme being perpetrated by both sides.

The House simply needs to craft a budget that funds the government but leaves off any monetary stipends for Obamacare.

Then send it to the Senate for ratification.

If it fails, then it is the Senate (aka, Democrats) who have failed (yet again) to fund the government.
That is a brilliant plan! I am sure it will work!
__________________
How many sane, able bodied adult Americans refuse to work an available job in favor of living off of federal or state funds?

Want to laugh? Click here and enjoy: http://www.usmessageboard.com/usmb-b...-a-thread.html
Reply With Quote
  #97 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Darkwind's Avatar
The Gatekeeper
Member #19727
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,968
Thanks: 544
Thanked 3,534 Times in 2,273 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 4043
Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute
Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute
Quote: Originally Posted by LoneLaugher View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkwind View Post
I just don't understand the entire 'shut down government' meme being perpetrated by both sides.

The House simply needs to craft a budget that funds the government but leaves off any monetary stipends for Obamacare.

Then send it to the Senate for ratification.

If it fails, then it is the Senate (aka, Democrats) who have failed (yet again) to fund the government.
That is a brilliant plan! I am sure it will work!
It isn't a plan.

It is called 'performing your Constitutionally required duties'.

But to semi-answer your partisan BS....yes it will work.
__________________
An armed man is a citizen. A disarmed man is a subject.

They laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at them because they are all the same. -- Kurt Cobain

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. ― Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkwind For This Useful Post:
MeBelle60 (09-17-2013), The T (09-17-2013)
  #98 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Registered User
Member #43491
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,461
Thanks: 266
Thanked 644 Times in 413 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 808
TooTall could run the Federal Reserve
TooTall could run the Federal Reserve TooTall could run the Federal Reserve TooTall could run the Federal Reserve TooTall could run the Federal Reserve TooTall could run the Federal Reserve TooTall could run the Federal Reserve TooTall could run the Federal Reserve TooTall could run the Federal Reserve TooTall could run the Federal Reserve TooTall could run the Federal Reserve TooTall could run the Federal Reserve
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkwind View Post
I just don't understand the entire 'shut down government' meme being perpetrated by both sides.

The House simply needs to craft a budget that funds the government but leaves off any monetary stipends for Obamacare.

Then send it to the Senate for ratification.

If it fails, then it is the Senate (aka, Democrats) who have failed (yet again) to fund the government.
The House does that very thing every year and Harry Reid ignores it and blames the Republicans in the Senate. And gets away with it every year.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TooTall For This Useful Post:
MeBelle60 (09-17-2013)
  #99 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:41 PM
rdean's Avatar
rddean
Member #20394
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chicago
Posts: 39,491
Thanks: 996
Thanked 7,103 Times in 5,304 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 810
rdean could run the Federal Reserve
rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve
Quote: Originally Posted by regent View Post
The GOP has trotted out all the arguments they used against Social Security. I think the Republicans used the commie thing more with SS and less of the break-the-bank fear. The bank was already broken in 1936 and people sort of remembered banks being broken because when they went to draw out their old-age savings the banks and money were gone.
The GOP can't stand to see average people as well-off as they are.
I truly believe that. And so many Republicans are average people. But they see themselves as "millionaires without funds".
__________________
Grampa Murked U - Where, if anywhere, does personal responsibility fit into that? I made shit wages when I started out in life. In fact my first two bosses only hired me because of the tax incentives they got for hiring an ex con.
Mr. H. - Punk ass nigger meets deserved end. (referring to 17 year old Martin who was chased down and shot dead while armed with a bag of Skittles and a can of Ice Tea)
Rottweiler commenting on Healthcare: That's exactly right. The American people don't deserve shit.
Quantum Windbag on whites committing suicide: I have enough to deal with caring about my friends and family, why the fuck should I care about a bunch of dead people?
Sunni Man - Slavery wasn't addressed or condemned in the Bible.
Tank: Homosexuality, welfare, unemployment, dropouts, STD.s. obesity, fatherless children, abortion, rape, murder are not Republican values, so thats why blacks, hispanics and gays are democrats
Reply With Quote
  #100 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:42 PM
common sense..what's THAT
Member #23165
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: mid south
Posts: 16,918
Thanks: 2,745
Thanked 3,857 Times in 3,001 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 2427
thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute
thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute thereisnospoon has a reputation beyond repute
Quote: Originally Posted by eflatminor View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Grampa Murked U View Post
Should the gop be willing to shut down nonessential govt functions to stop obamacare?
False choice. Congress is capable of fully funding government except for Obamacare. No shut down would be necessary. Of course, the Senate will likely add Obamacare funding back in and send it back to the House. Nothing says the House can't remove Obamacare funding again and sent it right back.

Point is, no govt functions need stop to de-fund Obamacare. It would be on Reid and the Dem controlled Senate if they refused to vote for a funding bill that kept the government going ex Obamacare. Why the establishment RINOs think they'd be blamed is beyond me. As you say, they have no backbone!
Actually no, our federal government does not have that capability.
If people really paid attention. Really did some poking around to see just exactly the raw waste of taxpayer resources, they'd be aghast.
Just the amount spent on research on the most nonsensical things. Such as research grants to determine the libido of Japanese Quails while under the influence of cocaine.
All the pork spending. All the little bit here and little bit there. The money our government gives to these so called professors to write papers and the research grants offered for political favors. The money given to private business so they DON'T make or do stuff.
__________________
Who will provide the grand design.
What is yours and what is mine.
Cause there is no more new frontier.
We have got to make it here.
Reply With Quote
  #101 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM
rdean's Avatar
rddean
Member #20394
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chicago
Posts: 39,491
Thanks: 996
Thanked 7,103 Times in 5,304 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 810
rdean could run the Federal Reserve
rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve rdean could run the Federal Reserve
The following is what Republicans want to replace Obamacare with:
__________________
Grampa Murked U - Where, if anywhere, does personal responsibility fit into that? I made shit wages when I started out in life. In fact my first two bosses only hired me because of the tax incentives they got for hiring an ex con.
Mr. H. - Punk ass nigger meets deserved end. (referring to 17 year old Martin who was chased down and shot dead while armed with a bag of Skittles and a can of Ice Tea)
Rottweiler commenting on Healthcare: That's exactly right. The American people don't deserve shit.
Quantum Windbag on whites committing suicide: I have enough to deal with caring about my friends and family, why the fuck should I care about a bunch of dead people?
Sunni Man - Slavery wasn't addressed or condemned in the Bible.
Tank: Homosexuality, welfare, unemployment, dropouts, STD.s. obesity, fatherless children, abortion, rape, murder are not Republican values, so thats why blacks, hispanics and gays are democrats
Reply With Quote
  #102 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:44 PM
The T's Avatar
<===TRAINZ!
Member #19484
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: WHERE *I* AM
Posts: 45,748
Thanks: 35,111
Thanked 10,570 Times in 8,344 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 9195
The T is cooler than the underside of a pillow The T is cooler than the underside of a pillow The T is cooler than the underside of a pillow The T is cooler than the underside of a pillow The T is cooler than the underside of a pillow The T is cooler than the underside of a pillow
The T is cooler than the underside of a pillow The T is cooler than the underside of a pillow The T is cooler than the underside of a pillow The T is cooler than the underside of a pillow The T is cooler than the underside of a pillow The T is cooler than the underside of a pillow The T is cooler than the underside of a pillow
Quote: Originally Posted by DiamondDave View Post
There is no reason to 'shut other things down'... but they should still shut down more than just Obamacare... welfare, corporate and farm subsidy, HUD, studies on cow farts, etc... things that are not specifically empowered to the fed in the constitution...

defund it all... eliminate until there is no deficit
THIS^^ And who cares is the moochers that can work and won't don't get their check. It's time to make them grow a set and join the real world.
__________________
Jihad THIS
"The truth has no agenda nor knows any time limits..."
Stealing LIBERTY/PROPERTY of another by writ of law is NOT caring...it's TYRANNY.
GOVERNMENT IS NOT THE MASTER OF YOUR DESTINY...YOU ARE.
Libs? Life giving you sour grapes? Make Whine!
Reply With Quote
  #103 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Darkwind's Avatar
The Gatekeeper
Member #19727
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,968
Thanks: 544
Thanked 3,534 Times in 2,273 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 4043
Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute
Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute
Quote: Originally Posted by rdean View Post
The following is what Republicans want to replace Obamacare with:
False premise.


There is no need to replace it with anything.
__________________
An armed man is a citizen. A disarmed man is a subject.

They laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at them because they are all the same. -- Kurt Cobain

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. ― Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
  #104 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Darkwind's Avatar
The Gatekeeper
Member #19727
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,968
Thanks: 544
Thanked 3,534 Times in 2,273 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 4043
Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute
Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute Darkwind has a reputation beyond repute
Quote: Originally Posted by TooTall View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkwind View Post
I just don't understand the entire 'shut down government' meme being perpetrated by both sides.

The House simply needs to craft a budget that funds the government but leaves off any monetary stipends for Obamacare.

Then send it to the Senate for ratification.

If it fails, then it is the Senate (aka, Democrats) who have failed (yet again) to fund the government.
The House does that very thing every year and Harry Reid ignores it and blames the Republicans in the Senate. And gets away with it every year.
Then perhaps the Republicans should get out the message that the Democrats are shutting down the government, eh?
__________________
An armed man is a citizen. A disarmed man is a subject.

They laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at them because they are all the same. -- Kurt Cobain

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. ― Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
  #105 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 PM
rightwinger's Avatar
Sewer Worker
Member #20321
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 66,165
Thanks: 19,785
Thanked 22,378 Times in 14,638 Posts
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 10096
rightwinger has disabled reputation
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkwind View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by rdean View Post
The following is what Republicans want to replace Obamacare with:
False premise.


There is no need to replace it with anything.
Let em die
__________________
.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
Reply With Quote
Reply


Lower Navigation
Go Back   US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum > US Discussion > Politics
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.