US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

my dog just had teeth cleaned and a few pulled..wondering about new diet

This is a discussion on my dog just had teeth cleaned and a few pulled..wondering about new diet within the Pets forums, part of the Hobbies category; hi everyone- this is the first time i have posted on this forum. I have a samoyed named emma. She is a great dog. She ...


Go Back   US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum > Hobbies > Pets

Pets Pictures of your pets and discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Registered User
Member #2610
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: not telling...too paranoid..sorry
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 0
sparxinthedark crossed red line
my dog just had teeth cleaned and a few pulled..wondering about new diet

hi everyone-

this is the first time i have posted on this forum.
I have a samoyed named emma. She is a great dog. She is almost 7 years old and still very young at heart. I got her as a puppy when i was 11 years old. I've always been real good about taking care of her. I trained her myself...she knows lots of tricks.., i groom and bathe her and brush her teeth and trim her nails.
I use to brush her teeth about once a week..sometimes more. When i was 16, i was having trouble with my mental state (i have schizophrenia) and i was in and out of hospitals and treatment programs. Durring this time, i was not able to give as much attention to emma as she needed. It was really hard on her. I was not able to brush her teeth very much for that whole year and i think thats why her teeth started getting so bad.

it's odd, because i've always thought that emma's teeth were better cared for then most dogs. We never feed her anything with sugar in it..mostly she eats her own kibble and dog treats and on occasion we will give her a scrap of meat. Also,Most people i know just about never brush their dogs teeth...
..anyway, about a year ago, emma lost one of her back mollars. It looked like it had rotted out of her mouth. Her breath was aweful, she drooled constantly, and her teeth and gums looked real bad.
I was finally able to get her in to have her teeth cleaned this last tuesday. It went real well, but they had to pull out three of her teeth and they put her on an antibiotic.

The vet said to wait ten days before i start brushing her teeth again. So i am going to start brushing her teeth every single day so that this doesn't happen again.
I am also thinking of changing her diet. She eats Iams, dried kibble right now and i also give her some of those dried dog biscuits(milk bones, or something like that)
I was thinking, that because of all the corn starch that is in kibble and such, it is probably adding to her teeth problems. So i am thinking about feeding her a diet of lean chicken and some whole grain oatmeal and maybe some scrambled eggs on occasion.
Dogs evolved eating meat like this and it wasn't until about 70 or 80 years ago that people started feeding them all this starchy food. If i give her only whole grains and meat, then i think she will be much happier and healthier and wont feel so hungry.
The vets are always tell me that she needs to eat some hard food to help in cleaning her teeth, but as long as i brush them every day and if i give her some of those bones to chew that help clean teeth, then i dont think she'd have a problem.

well, this thread got real long..sorry about that. Has anyone else had success with a diet like this for their dog? It seems to me like it would be much healthier. But im going to do some research on it.

-becka
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
USMessageBoard.com is the premier Political Forum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2005, 08:22 PM
dilloduck's Avatar
back monitoring reality
Member #1324
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 48,429
Thanks: 2,698
Thanked 4,946 Times in 3,367 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 3371
dilloduck has disabled reputation
Quote: Originally Posted by sparxinthedark
(quote edited by moderator to reduce length of post) well, this thread got real long..sorry about that. Has anyone else had success with a diet like this for their dog? It seems to me like it would be much healthier. But im going to do some research on it.

-becka
what a fraud
__________________
The Hokey Pokey
That's what it's all about !
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Registered User
Member #2610
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: not telling...too paranoid..sorry
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 0
sparxinthedark crossed red line
Quote: Originally Posted by dilloduck
what a fraud

..what's stuck up your A**??

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2005, 08:29 PM
dilloduck's Avatar
back monitoring reality
Member #1324
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 48,429
Thanks: 2,698
Thanked 4,946 Times in 3,367 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 3371
dilloduck has disabled reputation
Quote: Originally Posted by sparxinthedark
..what's stuck up your A**??

you cleared up rather quickly
__________________
The Hokey Pokey
That's what it's all about !
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Shattered
Guest
Member #
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Hmm.. Weird...

1) Shiavo discussion referenced 'brain dead', 'Bush', etc..

2) Your first post references 'brain dead' America..

3) Shiavo discussion references lack of brushing teeth..

4) Your second thread references brushing your dogs teeth..

Your "English" is sporadically broken, and then returns to impeccable..; the same with your spelling, and sentence structure..

What gives? Try the truth this time.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Registered User
Member #2610
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: not telling...too paranoid..sorry
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 0
sparxinthedark crossed red line
( this is real bothersome... i wish such ignorant people didn't bother me)

..before you go criticising me and judging me...maybe you should get the facts first?? you think??? have a little more knowledge on what you are talking about???maybe??
I mean, how much do you know about me as it is? NOT MUCH!


first off...you obviously know nothing about schizophrenia itself.
and obviously, you are unaware that i was just released from the hospital last week (was in for 3 days) and started back on my antipsychotic meds.

Don't assume that Schizophrenics are always in a psychotic episode, because that is some kind of myth about the disease.
Sometimes they will have good days, other days they will be delusional, paranoid,hallucinating incoherrent, etc. The symptoms are not neccisarily 24/7!
Some days schizophrenics can be almost symptom-free.
It's just like someone with a medical problem. Say for example, someone with epilepsy.....they dont have seizures 24/7, do they?

..right now, most of what is helping me is the fact that i got back on the meds about a week ago. I take Geodon...FYI ,geodon usually takes about 2 or 3 days to start working

My psychotic symptoms (paranoia and hallucinations) are usually worse when it is late at night. This is true for lots of schizophrenics: the psychosis increases when it gets later in the day.
Sometimes i am able to be logical and remember that it is my mental illness that is causing me to have these symptoms...other times, i am in a very paranoid, delusional state, and at that times, i am not able to believe that my "delusions" are false beliefs.

I think you two ought to be quite ashamed. You should at least learn more about schizophreniaand more about me before you say something like that.
I never did anything rude to either one of you and i did not deserve such judgmental, rude comments.

...(and they wonder why i dont trust people!)

-becka




Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Shattered
Guest
Member #
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
( this is real bothersome... i wish such ignorant people didn't bother me)

..before you go criticising me and judging me...maybe you should get the facts first?? you think??? have a little more knowledge on what you are talking about???maybe??
I mean, how much do you know about me as it is? NOT MUCH!
:eek2: You're posting on a public board just *full* of "ignorant people".. Way to garner their sympathy.

We know about you precisely what you've typed about you, which was in a Anti-America forum, slamming America, and American's (way to go, again), and now this latest bit.
:funnyface
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Mr. P's Avatar
Registered User
Member #1795
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South of the Mason Dixon
Posts: 11,329
Thanks: 8
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 38
Mr. P could own USMB Mr. P could own USMB Mr. P could own USMB Mr. P could own USMB Mr. P could own USMB Mr. P could own USMB
GAWD...Lolita is BACK!!
__________________
Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

PC=Public Cancer....and it's TERMINAL..IMO.

UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press 1 for ENGLISH?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2005, 05:34 AM
Trinity's Avatar
Registered User
Member #2590
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,286
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 11
Trinity picked a bandwagon to follow Trinity picked a bandwagon to follow Trinity picked a bandwagon to follow Trinity picked a bandwagon to follow Trinity picked a bandwagon to follow Trinity picked a bandwagon to follow
Quote: Originally Posted by sparxinthedark
( this is real bothersome... i wish such ignorant people didn't bother me)

I am going to attempt to be nice here but no promises!

First I can't think of a whole lot of ignorant people on this board, a couple, but not many!


Quote: Originally Posted by sparxinthedark
..before you go criticising me and judging me...maybe you should get the facts first?? you think??? have a little more knowledge on what you are talking about???maybe??
I mean, how much do you know about me as it is? NOT MUCH!
Well here is the problem you jump on to a political message board and start with your very first post that you are schizophrenic, maybe you should have tried a diffrent approach, or maybe you should look for a schizophrenic message board where you can be surrounded by other delusional people like yourself!



Quote: Originally Posted by sparxinthedark
first off...you obviously know nothing about schizophrenia itself.
and obviously, you are unaware that i was just released from the hospital last week (was in for 3 days) and started back on my antipsychotic meds.
Seems to me you are looking for symapthy here, however with your attitude your not going to get it!

Quote: Originally Posted by sparxinthedark
I think you two ought to be quite ashamed. You should at least learn more about schizophreniaand more about me before you say something like that.
I never did anything rude to either one of you and i did not deserve such judgmental, rude comments.

...(and they wonder why i dont trust people!)

-becka

As for them being ashamed of themselves, why? for calling it like they see it!
__________________
Not All Who Wander Are Lost .J. R. R. Tolkein

Last edited by Trinity; 04-08-2005 at 05:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2005, 10:05 AM
krisy's Avatar
Registered User
Member #1072
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,919
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 12
krisy picked a bandwagon to follow krisy picked a bandwagon to follow krisy picked a bandwagon to follow krisy picked a bandwagon to follow krisy picked a bandwagon to follow krisy picked a bandwagon to follow
becka- if your vet o.k.'s your new diet then go for it,but if you want an alternative in dog food,Science Diet does make a low residue food that is supposed to be good for a dog's teeth. I beleive it's actually called "Low Residue". Just a suggestion,because chicken could get expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Registered User
Member #2544
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,519
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 21
Nienna spends too much time on USMB Nienna spends too much time on USMB Nienna spends too much time on USMB Nienna spends too much time on USMB Nienna spends too much time on USMB Nienna spends too much time on USMB
Maybe I am being duped, but I am naive like that. Good for you Becka, for getting back on your med! I know nothing about dogs, however. :huh:
__________________
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

John 1:14
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2005, 11:05 AM
no1tovote4's Avatar
Registered User
Member #1179
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 10,294
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 42
no1tovote4 could own USMB no1tovote4 could own USMB no1tovote4 could own USMB no1tovote4 could own USMB no1tovote4 could own USMB no1tovote4 could own USMB
Hey Sparx, keep it up...

It will be worth it in the end.

Which medication do they have you on?
__________________
First they came for the Jews, but I did nothing because I'm not a Jew. Then they came for the socialists, but I did nothing because I'm not a socialist. Then they came for the Catholics, but I did nothing because I'm not a Catholic. Finally, they came for me, but by then there was no one left to help me. Pastor Father Niemoller (1946)

And from the board:
Yes, that's me. You were able to convince me that I should not be a proud democrat anymore. I'm kinda scared about this--will you hold me? - ProudDem

I drive a huge hummer, and my bumper sticker says I hate gay people. - Lolita715, democrat
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Registered User
Member #2610
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: not telling...too paranoid..sorry
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 0
sparxinthedark crossed red line
Quote: Originally Posted by Trinity
(quote edited by moderator to reduce length of post) Seems to me you are looking for symapthy here, however with your attitude your not going to get it!.>>

what kind of attitude to you expect from someone when they have been accused of lying??

comming to a pet forum and asking about my dog's diet is looking for sympathy? i dont understand?
...anyway, think what you want...it doesn't really matter becuase if i were looking for sympathy, i wouldn;t do it here.

As for them being ashamed of themselves, why? for calling it like they see it!


why?...because I am sick of people who place judgment before they get their facts straight. I can't stand people who think they have the right to judge and criticize something that they know pretty much nothing about. personally, i just dont think it's fair. that's why!

i see that i have wasted my time. it seems that the majority of people on these forums aren't very open-minded.
i wont be comming to these forums anymore, now that i am aware of the type of people who post here.

so long

-Becka
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2005, 11:19 AM
no1tovote4's Avatar
Registered User
Member #1179
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 10,294
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 42
no1tovote4 could own USMB no1tovote4 could own USMB no1tovote4 could own USMB no1tovote4 could own USMB no1tovote4 could own USMB no1tovote4 could own USMB
Quote: Originally Posted by sparxinthedark
why?...because I am sick of people who place judgment before they get their facts straight. I can't stand people who think they have the right to judge and criticize something that they know pretty much nothing about. personally, i just dont think it's fair. that's why!

i see that i have wasted my time. it seems that the majority of people on these forums aren't very open-minded.
i wont be comming to these forums anymore, now that i am aware of the type of people who post here.

so long

-Becka

Wow, you give up too easily young Padawan.
__________________
First they came for the Jews, but I did nothing because I'm not a Jew. Then they came for the socialists, but I did nothing because I'm not a socialist. Then they came for the Catholics, but I did nothing because I'm not a Catholic. Finally, they came for me, but by then there was no one left to help me. Pastor Father Niemoller (1946)

And from the board:
Yes, that's me. You were able to convince me that I should not be a proud democrat anymore. I'm kinda scared about this--will you hold me? - ProudDem

I drive a huge hummer, and my bumper sticker says I hate gay people. - Lolita715, democrat
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Trinity's Avatar
Registered User
Member #2590
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,286
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 11
Trinity picked a bandwagon to follow Trinity picked a bandwagon to follow Trinity picked a bandwagon to follow Trinity picked a bandwagon to follow Trinity picked a bandwagon to follow Trinity picked a bandwagon to follow
Quote: Originally Posted by sparxinthedark
why?...because I am sick of people who place judgment before they get their facts straight. I can't stand people who think they have the right to judge and criticize something that they know pretty much nothing about. personally, i just dont think it's fair. that's why!

i see that i have wasted my time. it seems that the majority of people on these forums aren't very open-minded.
i wont be comming to these forums anymore, now that i am aware of the type of people who post here.

so long

-Becka

Well if your sick of people placing judgement before getting the facts straight! how bout you posting some facts! Instead of posting anti Bush and anti American stuff and coming on here posting the things you were posting!

As for being open minded I think most here are, however once again we come back to the types of posts you have made! When you make Anti American posts on a Political Message board that tends to piss alot of people off!!!


Maybe you should try again, but in another manner!
__________________
Not All Who Wander Are Lost .J. R. R. Tolkein
Reply With Quote
Reply


Lower Navigation
Go Back   US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum > Hobbies > Pets
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.