US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

How do pirates take over such huge ships?

This is a discussion on How do pirates take over such huge ships? within the Africa forums, part of the Global Discussion category; I've been up close to those container ships. How in the heck do a bunch of pirates in a motorized skiff pull up alongside of ...


Go Back   US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum > Global Discussion > Africa

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Registered User
Member #18984
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 303
Thanks: 0
Thanked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 8
ItsFairmont could be Police Chief ItsFairmont could be Police Chief ItsFairmont could be Police Chief ItsFairmont could be Police Chief ItsFairmont could be Police Chief ItsFairmont could be Police Chief
How do pirates take over such huge ships?

I've been up close to those container ships. How in the heck do a bunch of pirates in a motorized skiff pull up alongside of and stop a ginormous freighter doing 20 knots?

Very confused. It seems as though the guys on the freighter would be laughing from 10 stories up, and it also seems the pirates would be easy targets for a couple plinkers on deck of the freighter.

Am I missing something? (obviously).
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
USMessageBoard.com is the premier Political Forum Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 AM
RetiredGySgt's Avatar
Registered User
Member #5176
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 33,682
Thanks: 40
Thanked 6,502 Times in 4,011 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 3198
RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute
RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote: Originally Posted by ItsFairmont View Post
I've been up close to those container ships. How in the heck do a bunch of pirates in a motorized skiff pull up alongside of and stop a ginormous freighter doing 20 knots?

Very confused. It seems as though the guys on the freighter would be laughing from 10 stories up, and it also seems the pirates would be easy targets for a couple plinkers on deck of the freighter.

Am I missing something? (obviously).
The Merchant Marines have NO weapons. As to how they board I assume there is an external ladder to the ocean level. The Pirates have Ak-47's and RPG's. An RPG can take down a TANK I doubt it would have much trouble opening the hull of an unarmored ship.
__________________
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd. Indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
-Bertrand Russell

Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable
-Laurence J. Peters
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 06:30 AM
Registered User
Member #19030
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 6
Rightwngcrkpot is an unknown quantity at this point Rightwngcrkpot is an unknown quantity at this point
Time to arm those ships - otherwise they are sitting ducks. Now I realize that Obama and Company would oppose arming these ship....well, for the same reason the libs opposed arming commercial airline pilots, and for the same reason they want to close Gitmo:

"Terrorists have rights!!!!!! Bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!


RWC
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Diuretic's Avatar
Permanently confused
Member #3196
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: South Australia est 1836
Posts: 12,653
Thanks: 1,765
Thanked 583 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 267
Diuretic has disabled reputation
Quote: Originally Posted by Rightwngcrkpot View Post
Time to arm those ships - otherwise they are sitting ducks. Now I realize that Obama and Company would oppose arming these ship....well, for the same reason the libs opposed arming commercial airline pilots, and for the same reason they want to close Gitmo:

"Terrorists have rights!!!!!! Bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!


RWC
Did you read post #2?
__________________
"Mindlessness on USMB? I'm shocked I tell you, shocked!"




The best foot goes forward.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 06:32 AM
RetiredGySgt's Avatar
Registered User
Member #5176
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 33,682
Thanks: 40
Thanked 6,502 Times in 4,011 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 3198
RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute
RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute RetiredGySgt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote: Originally Posted by Rightwngcrkpot View Post
Time to arm those ships - otherwise they are sitting ducks. Now I realize that Obama and Company would oppose arming these ship....well, for the same reason the libs opposed arming commercial airline pilots, and for the same reason they want to close Gitmo:

"Terrorists have rights!!!!!! Bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!


RWC
Well Obama wouldn't have much to say about it, you see few ships are American Flagged at all. Costs to much for most companies to flag in the US.
__________________
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd. Indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
-Bertrand Russell

Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable
-Laurence J. Peters
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 06:33 AM
del del is offline
Banned
Member #11827
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 45,058
Thanks: 5,314
Thanked 15,644 Times in 9,589 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 0
del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow
del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow del is cooler than the underside of a pillow
Quote: Originally Posted by Rightwngcrkpot View Post
Time to arm those ships - otherwise they are sitting ducks. Now I realize that Obama and Company would oppose arming these ship....well, for the same reason the libs opposed arming commercial airline pilots, and for the same reason they want to close Gitmo:

"Terrorists have rights!!!!!! Bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!


RWC
the ships are privately owned. most don't want to arm their crews for various money related reasons and have chosen not to. piracy is not new; if they felt a compelling reason to arm their ships, they would.

owners have rights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 06:42 AM
dilloduck's Avatar
back monitoring reality
Member #1324
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 48,419
Thanks: 2,694
Thanked 4,945 Times in 3,366 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 3342
dilloduck has disabled reputation
Quote: Originally Posted by ItsFairmont View Post
I've been up close to those container ships. How in the heck do a bunch of pirates in a motorized skiff pull up alongside of and stop a ginormous freighter doing 20 knots?

Very confused. It seems as though the guys on the freighter would be laughing from 10 stories up, and it also seems the pirates would be easy targets for a couple plinkers on deck of the freighter.

Am I missing something? (obviously).
Johnny Depp can do anything.
__________________
The Hokey Pokey
That's what it's all about !
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Registered User
Member #8637
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 436
Thanks: 1
Thanked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 18
cbi0090 could own USMB cbi0090 could own USMB cbi0090 could own USMB cbi0090 could own USMB cbi0090 could own USMB cbi0090 could own USMB
Most are boarded at night, so they don't often see them coming. To stand watch around the perimeter of that size boat would take a far larger crew than what they have. Once they are on board they are the only ones with guns, merchant marines don't carry guns. An earlier post is right, an RPG can tear a hole in one of these ships. They are generally single hulled and even with multiple bulkheads, are easily disabled. They're not a solid as they look.
The U.S. Marine Corp came into being over just this very situation. One of their first actions "on the shores of Tripoli" was a reaction to pirating of this kind. The whole area needs to be occupied by someone. As long as there is no government it's just a free for all, like a kindergarten classroom with no teacher. It help Iran when they try and sneak missiles to the Hamas in Gaza, like they did recently, but got caught and bombed to hell by Israel in Sudan.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cbi0090 For This Useful Post:
Diuretic (04-10-2009), Old Rocks (04-10-2009), WorldAHope (04-10-2009)
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Mr. Forgot-it-All
Member #11278
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 40,993
Thanks: 14,842
Thanked 9,298 Times in 6,605 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 3095
editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute
editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute
Quote: Originally Posted by RetiredGySgt View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Rightwngcrkpot View Post
Time to arm those ships - otherwise they are sitting ducks. Now I realize that Obama and Company would oppose arming these ship....well, for the same reason the libs opposed arming commercial airline pilots, and for the same reason they want to close Gitmo:

"Terrorists have rights!!!!!! Bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!


RWC
Well Obama wouldn't have much to say about it, you see few ships are American Flagged at all. Costs to much for most companies to flag in the US.
Yeah, they might have to pay the crews a living wage.

But hey, don't worry about it.

Americans will inevitably pay to protect those ships anyway.

That's what Americans are good for.

Paying to protect everybody's interests but their own.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Registered User
Member #8637
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 436
Thanks: 1
Thanked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 18
cbi0090 could own USMB cbi0090 could own USMB cbi0090 could own USMB cbi0090 could own USMB cbi0090 could own USMB cbi0090 could own USMB
Quote: Originally Posted by editec View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by RetiredGySgt View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Rightwngcrkpot View Post
Time to arm those ships - otherwise they are sitting ducks. Now I realize that Obama and Company would oppose arming these ship....well, for the same reason the libs opposed arming commercial airline pilots, and for the same reason they want to close Gitmo:

"Terrorists have rights!!!!!! Bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!


RWC
Well Obama wouldn't have much to say about it, you see few ships are American Flagged at all. Costs to much for most companies to flag in the US.
Yeah, they might have to pay the crews a living wage.

But hey, don't worry about it.

Americans will inevitably pay to protect those ships anyway.

That's what Americans are good for.

Paying to protect everybody's interests but their own.
It wasn't wages that ran the shipping industry out of the U.S. It was Valdez. Maritime law has never held any ship liable for anything more than the value of the vessel and it's cargo. This has been in place for hundreds of years. Valdez changed all that here in the U.S. It actually took an act of congress to override international maritime law and make Exxon liable for the cost of the spill. Once that happened the liability costs of operating a cargo shipping line in the U.S. became too high and they all moved to Monrovia, Panama, and such.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Mr. Forgot-it-All
Member #11278
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 40,993
Thanks: 14,842
Thanked 9,298 Times in 6,605 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 3095
editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute
editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
How do pirates take over such huge ships?


Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar, matie! Dunnie ye know that:

it ain't the size of pirates' ship in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the pirates' ship?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Registered User
Member #19030
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 6
Rightwngcrkpot is an unknown quantity at this point Rightwngcrkpot is an unknown quantity at this point
The issue goes way beyond mere piracy: Somalia is a hotbed of Al Qaeda activity and has been for years. My guess is that the hijacking of these ships is for the sole purpose of raising money for Al Qaeda, and if that is true, it makes the piracy issue one of grave international concern.

Now - will any nation (or for that matter, The UN) have the testoserone to go in there - do the right thing - and clean house? When pirates along the Barbary Coast plundered international shipping in the early 1800s, The United States Marines went in there and kicked their pirate asses and put them out of business.

RWC
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Epsilon Delta's Avatar
Jedi Master
Member #11471
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central America
Posts: 2,687
Thanks: 492
Thanked 330 Times in 229 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 58
Epsilon Delta could be the Buddha Epsilon Delta could be the Buddha Epsilon Delta could be the Buddha Epsilon Delta could be the Buddha Epsilon Delta could be the Buddha Epsilon Delta could be the Buddha Epsilon Delta could be the Buddha
Quote: Originally Posted by RetiredGySgt View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Rightwngcrkpot View Post
Time to arm those ships - otherwise they are sitting ducks. Now I realize that Obama and Company would oppose arming these ship....well, for the same reason the libs opposed arming commercial airline pilots, and for the same reason they want to close Gitmo:

"Terrorists have rights!!!!!! Bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!


RWC
Well Obama wouldn't have much to say about it, you see few ships are American Flagged at all. Costs to much for most companies to flag in the US.
That makes sense. In fact, wasn't this particular one they hijacked flying the Danish flag? Maybe the prates didn't know who they were messing with... OAIShdAPSODIHDSo.
__________________
"I will continue to be an impossible man as long as those men who are possible today remain possible." - Bakunin, letter to Ogarev.

"The ultimate aim of production is not production of goods, but the production of free human beings associated with one another on terms of equality." - John Dewey.

"It is embarrassing that the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council are responsible for the largest quantity of arms sales to the developing world. The very countries that should be maintaining world peace and security are the ones most responsible for promoting war and insecurity by producing and selling weapons." - Oscar Arias, 1987 Nobel Peace Prize Winner.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Mr. Forgot-it-All
Member #11278
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 40,993
Thanks: 14,842
Thanked 9,298 Times in 6,605 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 3095
editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute
editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute editec has a reputation beyond repute
Those guys aren't much interested in supporting ARabs who think of them as non-humans, methinks.

What source can you direct me to that will show me they are Alquada operatives?

My sources tell me something very different than that, but I'm always willing to learn something new.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Epsilon Delta's Avatar
Jedi Master
Member #11471
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central America
Posts: 2,687
Thanks: 492
Thanked 330 Times in 229 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 58
Epsilon Delta could be the Buddha Epsilon Delta could be the Buddha Epsilon Delta could be the Buddha Epsilon Delta could be the Buddha Epsilon Delta could be the Buddha Epsilon Delta could be the Buddha Epsilon Delta could be the Buddha
Quote: Originally Posted by Rightwngcrkpot View Post
The issue goes way beyond mere piracy: Somalia is a hotbed of Al Qaeda activity and has been for years. My guess is that the hijacking of these ships is for the sole purpose of raising money for Al Qaeda, and if that is true, it makes the piracy issue one of grave international concern.

Now - will any nation (or for that matter, The UN) have the testoserone to go in there - do the right thing - and clean house? When pirates along the Barbary Coast plundered international shipping in the early 1800s, The United States Marines went in there and kicked their pirate asses and put them out of business.

RWC
Hmmm.... Yeah, I dunno, it would make sense for Al-Qaeda to be doing SOMETHING there, since there's that big Islamic Fundamentalist uhhh... party? guerrilla? quasi-government? Fuck I don't even know what it is. The Islamic Courts or whatever. I mean, it might not be next to Afghanistan, but I'd imagine a huge chunk of land next to the middle east with no government would be a hotbed for terrorist recruitment. But then, I don't know if the pirates are associated with them, maybe they're just pirates. Got any links?

As for no nation having the testosterone... well, I'm sure you remember the Battle of Mogadishu. Hell, not even the Americans managed to stick around. In fact, I've heard that it was that sort of thing that emboldened Bin Laden, and he's always saying that Americans are weak once the body bags start coming, that they can't stomach conflict, etc. But fuck, I mean, there were 160 people in the US side (some Malaysians, Pakistanis, and Italians too) against 4,000 militias? Goes to show that you have to go in strong or not gone in at all. Afterall, America is the superpower... it CAN pretty much quash any objective it chooses, but it's gotta get that internal support.

I mean, you say not even the UN, but that's obvious. The UN can't do anything... it doesn't have an army! The UN can only do as its members states allow. So if no nation has the 'testosterone' to deal with the problem the only solution is to get MANY nations to do it co-ordinating through the UN. That way it's more fair... Americans shouldn't have to shoulder the full responsibility of cleaning that place up. Once we FINALLY agree to do something about Somalia it should be a whole international force (but a real one, one that can actually tame the goddamn place), and you know, most likely its gonna need a mini-Marshall plan once the mess gets cleaned up.

I know- it won't come cheap, but it's gotta be done eventually. We might as well go halfs.
__________________
"I will continue to be an impossible man as long as those men who are possible today remain possible." - Bakunin, letter to Ogarev.

"The ultimate aim of production is not production of goods, but the production of free human beings associated with one another on terms of equality." - John Dewey.

"It is embarrassing that the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council are responsible for the largest quantity of arms sales to the developing world. The very countries that should be maintaining world peace and security are the ones most responsible for promoting war and insecurity by producing and selling weapons." - Oscar Arias, 1987 Nobel Peace Prize Winner.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Lower Navigation
Go Back   US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum > Global Discussion > Africa
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Search tags for this page

how do pirates take over ships

,
how do pirates take over a ship
,
how can pirates take cargo ships
,
how is it possible for somali pirates to take over a ship
,
how do pirates take a container ship
,
can pirates take over a cruise ship
,
how do pirates take over large ships
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.