Yoga Classes cancelled due to "Cultural Appropriation"

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
I guess for the perpetually offended class, imitation is NOT the sincerest form of flattery.

Blocking yoga classes: Multiculturalists succeed where Christian conservatives failed

From the article quoted in the above article:

Student leaders have pulled the mat out from 60 University of Ottawa students, ending a free on-campus yoga class over fears the teachings could be seen as a form of “cultural appropriation.” …

Staff at the Centre for Students with Disabilities [which is operated by the university’s Student Federation] believe that “while yoga is a really great idea and accessible and great for students … there are cultural issues of implication involved in the practice,” according to an email from the centre….

The centre goes on to say, “Yoga has been under a lot of controversy lately due to how it is being practiced,” and which cultures those practices “are being taken from.”

From the response by Mr Volokh:

[Yoga, whether you’re a fan of it or not, doesn’t exclusively belong to some group of people who share the same skin color or language or culture or religion — just as classical music or Western medicine or modern physics doesn’t belong to the Europeans. It, like all such ideas, is the common heritage of all mankind. That means of each and every one of us, even those of us who have a genetic background or culture that some people feel aggrieved at./QUOTE]

My wife is Bengali (by ancestry, she was born here), and we were at a Bengali event, and the dancers they hired were a bunch of white girls from Long Island, dancing a mix of belly dancing and Indian Dance.

My wife is a classically trained Kathak dancer, and she wasn't offended, (she critiqued them on form sometimes, but that's because she's a pro at dancing, not because her culture felt offended).

It's also comical that the SJW's succeeded where some Christian groups failed. Of course, both groups are idiots for being offended by Yoga, or who is teaching it.

By their logic, that means people in India must stop using plastic, telephones and the combustion engine because it's appropriating White culture. Although I sincerely doubt any actual Indians were involved in this nonsense. Most likely dumb White Social Justice Warriors (SJWs).

I guess for the perpetually offended class, imitation is NOT the sincerest form of flattery.

Blocking yoga classes: Multiculturalists succeed where Christian conservatives failed

From the article quoted in the above article:

Student leaders have pulled the mat out from 60 University of Ottawa students, ending a free on-campus yoga class over fears the teachings could be seen as a form of “cultural appropriation.” …

Staff at the Centre for Students with Disabilities [which is operated by the university’s Student Federation] believe that “while yoga is a really great idea and accessible and great for students … there are cultural issues of implication involved in the practice,” according to an email from the centre….

The centre goes on to say, “Yoga has been under a lot of controversy lately due to how it is being practiced,” and which cultures those practices “are being taken from.”

From the response by Mr Volokh:

[Yoga, whether you’re a fan of it or not, doesn’t exclusively belong to some group of people who share the same skin color or language or culture or religion — just as classical music or Western medicine or modern physics doesn’t belong to the Europeans. It, like all such ideas, is the common heritage of all mankind. That means of each and every one of us, even those of us who have a genetic background or culture that some people feel aggrieved at./QUOTE]

My wife is Bengali (by ancestry, she was born here), and we were at a Bengali event, and the dancers they hired were a bunch of white girls from Long Island, dancing a mix of belly dancing and Indian Dance.

My wife is a classically trained Kathak dancer, and she wasn't offended, (she critiqued them on form sometimes, but that's because she's a pro at dancing, not because her culture felt offended).

It's also comical that the SJW's succeeded where some Christian groups failed. Of course, both groups are idiots for being offended by Yoga, or who is teaching it.
Also along these lines:

The Left's new racism: cultural appropriation

Cultural-appropriation.jpg

Forum List

Back