We Were Soldiers 2002 Mel Gibson

I am sure Gibson had no clue.

Just like that final charge at the end.

That, of course, never happened.

On the the last (third, I believe), night the NVA came at Moore's position with no cover fire.

Moore's men cleaned up. I think the reported count was 158 NVA....not one American killed.

You served there. I didn't. But I don't believe you would charge like that in the jungle.

I am sure Gibson had no clue.

Just like that final charge at the end.

That, of course, never happened.

On the the last (third, I believe), night the NVA came at Moore's position with no cover fire.

Moore's men cleaned up. I think the reported count was 158 NVA....not one American killed.

You served there. I didn't. But I don't believe you would charge like that in the jungle.
I don't want to nit pick the movie but my other point was Hollywood's gift at the end to the cowards who fled to Canada to avoid the draft by claiming that among all the wars in the bloody 20th century the Vietnam Vets didn't fight for their Country or their Flag.

It's a gritty semi-documentary about an early Vietnam battle. I understand it was panned by movie reviewers at the time because the trend was not to portray Vietnam Soldiers as heroes. A commentary at the end states that the Soldiers didn't fight for their Country or the Flag but for each other. I find it to be vaguely insulting. I can't believe that the U.S. government would hire taxi drivers to deliver KIA notification during a battle and I expect it was added for drama. Anyway it's well worth watching.
The napalm scene is one that haunts me.

It's a gritty semi-documentary about an early Vietnam battle. I understand it was panned by movie reviewers at the time because the trend was not to portray Vietnam Soldiers as heroes. A commentary at the end states that the Soldiers didn't fight for their Country or the Flag but for each other. I find it to be vaguely insulting. I can't believe that the U.S. government would hire taxi drivers to deliver KIA notification during a battle and I expect it was added for drama. Anyway it's well worth watching.
A fantastic, great movie.

Brutal.

SAVAGE: Beautiful morning, sir.

PLUMLEY: What are you now, the god damn weather man?

:lol:

Last edited:
I don't want to nit pick the movie but my other point was Hollywood's gift at the end to the cowards who fled to Canada to avoid the draft by claiming that among all the wars in the bloody 20th century the Vietnam Vets didn't fight for their Country or their Flag.
Really? And what, they say, are you fighting for?

If you're insulted by a film that shows that the top people in government don't really give a damn about the lives of ordinary people and will send them to die in order to decide how another country governs itself...

I mean, how bad has the US had it since Vietnam was fully Communist controlled? Not at all. And yet people died for that CRAP.

And then they sent them in to die for cheap oil in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Fucking EMBARRASSING that these people died for that.

It's really interesting question. The reasons to fight and die in books, movies and games.
For uncertain "values"

For your community.

And just for lulz.

Were the soldiers in Vietnam fighting for their country or their flag?

No, they were fighting for politicians desires to control other countries.

It's more the question of the personal motivation to fight. Most of ordinary American guys just didn't have a choice.

And there is the question how good for the country was one or another way of action.
May be, without Vietnam War the USA couldn't make a good deal with China in late 70-s, and therefore, Perestroika would've started in the USA in 1985. May be not. May be, without Vietnam War the USA would be much stronger. May be, it was just a useless waste of human lifes and other resources.

May be, those guys who avoided the fight in fact saved American future.

It's more the question of the personal motivation to fight. Most of ordinary American guys just didn't have a choice.

And there is the question how good for the country was one or another way of action.
May be, without Vietnam War the USA couldn't make a good deal with China in late 70-s, and therefore, Perestroika would've started in the USA in 1985. May be not. May be, without Vietnam War the USA would be much stronger. May be, it was just a useless waste of human lifes and other resources.

May be, those guys who avoided the fight in fact saved American future.

It's one of those things that should have warned Americans about the power of their government and the nefarious characters behind it.

But then the US is being led around by two old men who are trying to capitalize on the manipulation of the US by rich people and foreign countries and nobody seems to care.

The largest loss in a single battle among Americans was in Wilson's 1st world war in the Argonne when 26,000 Americans were killed.
The Argonne was a campaign, not a single battle.

The largest loss in a single day was the Battle of Antietam, with more than 22,000 killed in one day.

The Battle of the Wilderness had around 35,000 killed. Grant wasn't afraid to throw his troops into a meat grinder.

It's one of those things that should have warned Americans about the power of their government and the nefarious characters behind it.

But then the US is being led around by two old men who are trying to capitalize on the manipulation of the US by rich people and foreign countries and nobody seems to care.
Most of countries are led by old men. It's sad, but true. Old men usually have more experience and social links. And most of men both old and young are stupid, selfish and, therefore, corruptible.
What we can do - try to be human beings and respect each other, even if we have to fight each other (may be especially if we have to kill each other).

Most of countries are led by old men. It's sad, but true. Old men usually have more experience and social links. And most of men both old and young are stupid, selfish and, therefore, corruptible.
What we can do - try to be human beings and respect each other, even if we have to fight each other (may be especially if we have to kill each other).

Change the electoral system to make it harder for them to control everything.

it wasnt an officer calling in airstrikes it was an enlisted radio operator.
The record shows it was Lt. Charlie Hastings. He was forward air controller on loan from the air force. He was the one that Moore ordered to issue the "broken arrow" call.

It's not that simple.

Southeast Asia was considered to be a lead case for what was being pushed as the "domino theory".

China turned red in 1949. Advisors to Vietnam were sent as early as 1960.

Vietnam having been cut in half after the French defeat......the North was communist....the south while not communist might as well have been.

But American felt a lot of pressure not to let communism expand.

That actually happened.

According to Joey Galloway, Moore had to refocus the officer bringing the aircraft. He was momentarily overwhelmed by what happened.
Friendly fire casualties. Bad communications or inexperienced officers who had no real concept of where their men were located. Maybe an error by the pilots.

Forum List

Back