how well can you remember the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989?

if so, how well?

• hardly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not at all

• other

• Total voters
The most noteworthy thing about it is that NOBODY expected it to happen, ever. We were under the impression that the USSR was a permanent thing on the world's landscape despite its living under a host of illusions.

I have visited countries that were formerly in the Soviet bloc, and their citizens were even more convinced that the USSR would last for at least their entire lifetimes. When the USSR fell, it took them years to simply believe that it had happened.

And West Germany surprised everyone when they agreed to accept the currency of East Germany on a Mark-for-Mark basis, despite the fact that West German Marks where much more valuable in the world market.

Thanks to Comrade Putin, the current generation of Europeans are starting to get a flavor of how awful the USSR was, and the threat that it represented to its neighbor countries (i.e., NATO)

Now those same European countries are getting a taste of how awful the globalist EU is. :laughing0301:

The most noteworthy thing about it is that NOBODY expected it to happen, ever. We were under the impression that the USSR was a permanent thing on the world's landscape despite its living under a host of illusions.

Well what would you expect, libs told the people for decades before 1989 that the people of Central and Eastern Europe loved living under tyranny, just like Americans loved freedom.

Of course that was always rubbish, and rather racist, to think that Poles and Slovaks and East Germans loved being told what to do by an all powerful government and would die for the right to be bossed around.

Much the same as what is happening in current liberal hell holes like Iran.

I remember it very well, the image of President Reagan smashing that wall with a big stick are forever etched in my mind. ...

... surreal ... Michail Gorbachev and Raissa Gorbacheva had been the great man and woman in this context.

Last edited:
I was a freshman in High school so it was heavily covered in our Social Studies class, as well as at home.

Well what would you expect, libs told the people for decades before 1989 that the people of Central and Eastern Europe loved living under tyranny, just like Americans loved freedom.

Of course that was always rubbish, and rather racist, to think that Poles and Slovaks and East Germans loved being told what to do by an all powerful government and would die for the right to be bossed around.

Much the same as what is happening in current liberal hell holes like Iran.
lets hope so!

I have visited countries that were formerly in the Soviet bloc, and their citizens were even more convinced that the USSR would last for at least their entire lifetimes. When the USSR fell, it took them years to simply believe that it had happened.

And West Germany surprised everyone when they agreed to accept the currency of East Germany on a Mark-for-Mark basis, despite the fact that West German Marks where much more valuable in the world market.

Thanks to Comrade Putin, the current generation of Europeans are starting to get a flavor of how awful the USSR was, and the threat that it represented to its neighbor countries (i.e., NATO)

It went bankrupt in 1973, thanks to LBJ and Nixon's Cold War policies. The West had to prop it up with massive wheat shipments and refined petroleum and other goods, since we feared a sudden massive collapse would be worse than a gradual one to a soft landing. All those nukes and military gear laying around under total anarchy and the former satellites also in chaos was seen as a bad thing in so large a region. But, like Hitler and the German 'stab in the back' fantasy re their defeat in WW I, the current gangster regime is using the same fantasy in Russia now, dreaming of plunder and a return to Russia's former glory, and again those with the most to lose are in disarray and alliances are crumbling leaving the field wide open around the globe. Isolationist idiots are determined to repeat the same old mistakes.

Forum List

Back